Malapascua or Moalboal in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heres the current dilemma - Do 4 dive days in Malapascua and 2 dive days in Moalboal or split them 3/3? I really want to see the thresher sharks but at the same time see the sardines in pescador. Any recommendations at this stage?

why not stay in malapascua til you see the treshers then move on to moalboal? better if you dont have a fixed sched.

That's good advice :) Chances are good that you will see Threshers if you get up every morning you're there. Not a guarantee, but it's pretty reliable. There seems to be a question as I read through the thread if the sardines will still be there.

I did Malapascua and Moalboal during one trip in 2007. Great diving in both places :) The Threshers are a can't miss, but I still consider Pescador Island one of the top dive spots in the Philippines IMHO :wink:

FYI, I got a late start this morning and hired a taxi in Cebu to bring me. Was 2500 pesos. That's a little less than $60US at the current exchange rate. That may sound steep, but try hiring a car and a driver for less than $60 bucks for half a day in the US or Europe :wink: We made it in about 3 and a half hours.

As soon as I stepped out of the taxi I was approached and told that for 1200 pesos they could take me in private boat immediately. I just laughed and said "thank you".

I paid 50 pesos for the ferry :wink:

It was low tide so the ferry (a bangka) could not come in close enough to walk on. There was a boat to carry us out. The guy with the boat wanted another 50 pesos which wasn't mentioned until reaching the ferry. That surprised me, but I paid. (shouldn't getting out to the ferry be included? After all you can't use the ferry ticket if you can't get to the boat). This was the first time I ran into this in the Philippines. I assumed that getting to the ferry would be included.

When we reached Malapascua, we had to be ferried in and they tried to charge another 20 pesos per bag. I just laughed and said I could carry my own bag, they wanted it anyway.

With no dive gear or camera gear on this trip my two bags are not large. I laughed again and asked why they weren't trying to get money from anyone else on the boat except me and a woman from Scotland who was on the boat going to meet her boyfriend who was in Malapascua doing his Divemaster.

I reiterated I would carry my own bag and they said they finally said "ok" :wink: Always important to keep your sense of humor.... Just something to be aware of :wink:

Bill

Thanks for the update, so how long did you have to wait for the ferry to leave and how long would it take in comparison to speedboat?

Personally speaking I dont like to be hassled for money everytime, but understand sometimes that's part and parcel of travelling.

I might be even happy to shell out the 1200 ps which is about $27 USD? if a) Im not hassled and b) I dont have to wait ages for the ferry to be full before leaving c) the private speedboat gets me to the island quicker so I can get in the water sooner :blinking:

Bill

Thanks for the update, so how long did you have to wait for the ferry to leave and how long would it take in comparison to speedboat?

Personally speaking I dont like to be hassled for money everytime, but understand sometimes that's part and parcel of travelling.

I might be even happy to shell out the 1200 ps which is about $27 USD? if a) Im not hassled and b) I dont have to wait ages for the ferry to be full before leaving c) the private speedboat gets me to the island quicker so I can get in the water sooner :blinking:

The wait was about 30-40 minutes. Not that bad. They didn't say "speedboat". I would assume just looking around that it would be a bangka which would be no faster than the ferry.

I asked and apparently it is normal to pay the boatman to take you out to the ferry during low tide, and ashore on the other side, but the rate should have been 20 pesos, not 50 :D

Whether you would get in the water faster would depend on the time you arrived. I think most of the dive shops schedule dives throughout the day. If you miss that time you wait until the next dive, or if you're very early, you wait until the next time too :wink:

You can always arrange your transport through whatever dive shop you are diving with. I'm diving with Evolution and they do this routinely. This is my 6th trip to the Philippines so I was comfortable negotiating my own transport. Like anything else you save money when you do it yourself rather than pay someone to do it for you :wink:

I'm back!

As Bill says, there are no "speedboats", unless you bring your own... the advantage of a private trip is that is leaves when you want...is generally a better boat(depending who you book with), and goes to wherever you tell them to go.

Unfortunately the private pier setup at Maya, which feeds Malapascua, falls foul to a bunch of ruthless individuals trying to make a buck.

But hey, the diving in Malapascua is worth it! :)

That is no doubt why Im making this my next trip Malapascua and Moalboal after having dived Maldives and GBR/Ospreys recently!

Matt any news of anyone else arriving and wishing to share transfer costs the day Im arriving? Jan 23?

Anyone from SB that will be there that week?

I also paid 2500 ps from the Hilton to Maya. I had asked around and it seemed to be the going rate. Though most seemed to start at 3500 but after some discussion, it was 2500.

When I got to Maya I was told the ferry only has room for 1 more and we were 2 of us. I could wait for the next one but could be several hours. I thought it was BS but what could I do. I was quoted 1200 for the private boat. They pointed to the sign showing 1200 for private boat. After some discussion, I paid 800 plus tipping for the bags. I know I'm paying too much but I don't bother to nickel and dime someone for 20-40 ps for carrying bags. I can find that amount under my couch. I'm on vacation and already plan extra for this fact.

For the return boat, I was able to find a private boat for 500. Just ask around. One of local DM's at TSD had a friend....

However, I hooked up with a group and ended up sharing a ride back to Cebu and paid 700 ps total.

Anyway, just FYI if you want to compare rates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom