Major Update May 10, 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, duh, Don, I'd never have thought of that. :shakehead:
Sounds like my suggestion was unneeded. Hey, when I started on SB, I had to ask how to copy and paste. :silly: I guess most members know more than I do and I should hush more. :footinmouth:

That would be a good idea. Automatically ass-uming that long time members are stupid (or at least not computer savvy) is not a very good idea.

For the record, I've been using computers since 1970 and I've been online since 1988. Not that you needed to know that, but your ass-uming that people are ignorant makes you look bad. Just sayin'.

I am sincerely sorry my suggestions seemed like I thot you were "stupid," as that was not the case.

I will try to remember to not offer you any more suggestions and wish you the best with your computer challenges and all.

For the record, I've been using computers since 1970 and I've been online since 1988.

Go Debby, Go!

4634_social_security_cartoon.gif

Ha ha Mike, I was underage with a fake ID when I had my first computer job... :blinking:

This site is still sloooooow for me, and other sites are not, and I'm not having any "computer challenges", so I'm gonna log off and go diving...what a concept! :D

It's not the ads. But everyone loves to blame the ads.

Okay, then, what is it? Why is the new "improved" site many times as slow and twice as cluttered as the old site? Forgive me if this very obvious question has been answered already, but what is the benefit of this new, slow, ugly software?

Pardon my bluntness, but I've asked this legitimate question three times with no answer. My guess is that the site is now linked to other sites like google and facebook, etc...with the primary intention of gathering more marketing information about the users, and that's what's slowing it down. Am I right or wrong?

And here's another issue, I still can't edit my posts, and the "quick" (that's a good one) navigation bar now won't work; instead it just sends me to the top of the thread. Even when it id work it was way clunkier than the old navigation bar.

Okay, then, what is it? Why is the new "improved" site many times as slow and twice as cluttered as the old site? Forgive me if this very obvious question has been answered already, but what is the benefit of this new, slow, ugly software?

Pardon my bluntness, but I've asked this legitimate question three times with no answer. My guess is that the site is now linked to other sites like google and facebook, etc...with the primary intention of gathering more marketing information about the users, and that's what's slowing it down. Am I right or wrong?

You're totally wrong. It's not about gathering information... but whatever.

What browser are you using? Something old? I've explained this too many times. If you're using Windows 98 and IE 5, your experience might not be so good.

Just whining without providing useful site support information won't get you much in the way of help.

Gee Howard, thanks for taking the time to tell me I'm totally wrong and a whiner. How about answering my question, what is the benefit of the new site?

The benefit is the new features. Some of which we aren't even using yet.

Some of these benefits include our new Content Management System (homepage) with organization for articles and other content which will help make SB more dynamic as a website, and not just a forum or "discussion board". There are also other features which enable users to have simple things like "auto save" on posts, or the ability to post on Facebook at the same time.

All of these functions which are already in use, plus new development all the time from the people who created vBulletin add to ScubaBoard's greater viability as the leader in social media for scuba divers worldwide.

Actually, as I've said in several other places. Since the upgrade to the new software... our daily usage is up close to 5% which translates into a few thousand more visitors daily. Our Alexa ranking has moved from 36,000 to 31,000. The benefit is something that is not immediately tangible to each and every user, but in the long run it will make ScubaBoard a better site.

If people are going to whine... what should I say? I can't fix every little browser related issue, if people are using 5 year old web browsers. I have someone complaining about firefox 3.0.10 not working right... I mean really - according to my browser stats, there is only 1 out of 750,000 monthly visitors to ScubaBoard who uses that browser. Should I change the whole site to accommodate 1 person out of 750k? I have others complaining that Internet Exploder - who uses that? Really... 40% of our users do. More people use IE than anything else. I have people complaining that 800 x 600 doesn't look good (800 x 600 screen resolution is .41% of monthly traffic whereas 1280 x is more than 20%)

I can't fix every problem for everyone. I'm doing all I can... but some people just expect me to fix all browser and OS related issues for every computer, browser, etc... and it just can't be done.

Back
Top Bottom