Major League Vortex Meet/Dive - Oktoberfest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
Should I bring my canoe?
Or is canoeing from Vortex a viable option?

Canoeing from Vortex isn't really an option, not sure how long that would take, but it'd be atleast an all day venture, alot of it upriver. We canoed 4miles upriver, got lost a few times, and didn't get back until nightfall after leaving fairly early in the morning. We did get 2 short dives in within that stint.

Renting canoes from Vortex is definately an option. They have really wide stable plastic canoes that can take a serious beating. Bringing your own canoe would save you money though. I think its $10 for 2 hours rental of Vortex's canoes or $50 for the day. 2 people can get themselves, gear, and an extra tank each into one canoe easily. SeaYoda, WaterDawg, and myself all fit into a single canoe on one occasion and managed fine enough(we're talking 600+lbs of dudes, not including gear). Its always better to split costs between a canoe buddy(ies) anyway :D

If water levels get low enough, we could always check out Becton too. Do a tank at Cypress, then another 30 minute dive on Cypress, then finish the remainder of the second tank at Becton(its not big, but I think it has potential for being a pretty little spring - I've only been to it while it was flooded so I can't say for sure).

Matt

Have you ever considered towing a canoe train with your Zodiac?
Once you're there getting back downstream would be no problem.

The boat bogs down quite a bit with 2 divers and 2 sets of gear, it won't plane in freshwater. I towed a single kayaker once with dive gear. It wasn't aweful, but it was one hellova slow trip - barely faster than paddling a canoe alone. The Jellyfish only totes a 9.8hp motor :)

Honestly, it doesn't take long to paddle from the launch at 277 to Cypress. 15-20min I would guess.

Hey, Bug Man . . .
Make sure Darcy knows about the get together.

the K

I'll shoot her an email and a link to this thread, if I don't hear anything back from her in a few days I'll give her a call.

I believe I sent out some info on this to my mailing list, so she should already be privy to this event :)

A DIVE GET TOGETHER FOR MY BIRTHDAY???? You shouldn't have. Yes folks I will be making one more giant leap toward adulthood (aka my 30's) on the 14th of October. Fortunately, I celebrate the entire month so why not do a dive or 6 to commemorate good years past and the wonderful one's to come. See you all there.

LET THEM EAT CAKE!

I got dibs on the first spanking !!!!!! :D

the K

ladies & gents, just letting you know that if this ends up conflicting with the as-yet-unset dates for fundies, you'll get bumped to another time. i really really hope not, and told the person setting dates that i had something this weekend, but when you're trying to get something for 6 or so people, crap sometimes happens. cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom