Mainland Ferry Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1KWIK_69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Since somehow I've avoided making it over to the mainland in all of
my trips to Cozumel, I have no idea how the ferry works. Does
anyone know the schedule or current cost off hand?

Cost is $11.00 US, run pretty much on the hour during the main part of the day.

There are two operators, one runs later then the other in case you want to stay longer in Santa Clara. rip takes about 40 minutes with fair water.

Has anyone made the drive to Chichen Itza? It looks like it's possible to
drive by way of Tulam, them Coba and on to Chichen Itza. That looks
a lot more interesting than going to Cancun and taking the expensive
toll drive down 180. If anyone's done this, how long does it take to make
the drive each way with all the small villages you have to drive through?

There are two operators, one runs later then the other in case you want to stay longer in Santa Clara. rip takes about 40 minutes with fair water.

Where is Santa Clara? The ferries run between Playa del Carmen on the mainland and San Miguel on Cozumel.

If the two companies don't both run at the same time, they have changed it recently. It always seemed silly to me that they ran on the same schedule and did the "ferry race" across the channel, but that's what they did.

Santa Clara??? Have never heard of the place in these parts.

The ferries are actually running alternate schedules these days. There is a ferry running every hour on the hour starting at 5am from Cozumel, with the last crossing from Playa del Carmen at 11pm. From here to Playa del Carmen, the last ferry is at 10pm.

TIP: DO NOT buy a round trip ferry ticket.
  1. It won't save you any money
  2. If the ticket you have for the return is on the ferry that is not running that hour, you have to wait another hour to come back on that ferry
  3. It's simply not necessary, they have general boarding with no assigned seats, etc.

It's a LONG drive to Chitzen Itza. I haven't made the drive in several years, but I vowed not to do it again. Narrow, windy/curvy, poorly paved roads through the jungle with no shoulders...it's quite scary if a bus or truck is ciming in the opposite direction.

Narrow, windy/curvy, poorly paved roads through the jungle with no shoulders...it's quite scary if a bus or truck is ciming in the opposite direction.

That's how we almost died twice in Panama. The buses would be passing people on a blind CURVE as we were coming around it. I went through a lot of underwear on that trip :D

Why?

And would you do a tour or just rent a car and go to Tulum?

Tulum and Chitzan Itza are two totally different experiences, and they are both worth seeing (as is Coba, which is different from either).

For Tulum I'd just rent a car in Playa del Carmen and drive down; it's only about 40 miles.

Back
Top Bottom