Madison Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Britt, I hope this venture has worked out for you this year.

What do you think the chances are for making it happen again next year?

Take care,
David

We open at 9 AM and close at 9 PM on Saturday, 9AM til 6 PM on Sunday, and will be open from 9 AM until 6PM on Friday the 31st (Halloween).

Thanks for everyone's support in getting the quarry reopened and making it work this year.

Is that the last day for the year or will you be open the rest of that weekend and on into November?

Is that the last day for the year or will you be open the rest of that weekend and on into November?

We will be open on Friday the 31st from 10 AM until about 5 or 6 PM. After that, you will have to wait until the paperwork is finished for next year. When I spoke to Mr. Pounders (General Manager) at the Madison Water Board, he said we could sign a 1 year lease for next year. Its just a matter of working out the details and setting an opening date.

Everything went great this year, no issues or problems, and it seems that we had a lot of happy divers. Several dive shops even made a lot of new divers. Better Diver is now 3 years old and I feel like we came a long way in such a short time.

I would like to thank all of the divers (the list is too long to thank them individually) and the other shops that supported us this year. I cant remember all of them and digging through all the paperwork would take a few days, and I apologize if I missed anyone but a few of them are:

Dive Sports
Bad Boys Diving
Todd Lovett
H20 Scuba Center (Mike Crocker)
Fun Divers
MTSS
Steven Herron (from Arkansas)
Alabama Blue Water Adventures (Wayne sent me some forms to make life easier)
Marthas Quarry (Fred pointed gave me a few ideas)
Market Street Cafe & Deli (Decatur, Mr. & Mrs. Babbit handled the food for the events)

Divers, please take care of these shops and people. All of the divers, clubs, and shops really helped to make getting the quarry open worth the effort.

Also, I want to thank the Better Diver staff, they made every day we were open easier on everyone.

Last edited:
Hey, Britt,

Thanks for handling all that this year. I wanted to dive it more than we did, but the 2 Saturdays we were there were great. Can't wait for next year! Thanks for everything.

Bruce, Tracy, Brandon, Brittany J.

I thought I would update everyone about the Madison Quarry. We went by this afternoon to check on a few thing and plan out the repairs we will need to do for this year and I couldn't help but get some photos while I was there.

Anyone for Deep Specialties? :rofl3:

DSC00044.jpg
DSC00046.jpg

DSC00051.jpg
DSC00041.jpg

DSC00045.jpg
DSC00047.jpg

DSC00048.jpg
DSC00057.jpg

Back up to full pool nearly. Looks like it was before they made the back parking area.

Any idea on opening dates? let us know if you need any volunteers to help clean up.

Kenny

hey... I remember it that way several years ago. I remember walking around in the now "back parking area" before they smoothed it all out. it was in a couple feet of water.

So looks like that it's about 50', maybe 55' at the "deepest spot".

(for those that don't reconize the above pics, the dock that is under water is in the "back parking area").

you can tell the water department hasn't been pumping out.

Britt, any news on when the quarry will be open for 2009?

It would be cool to get to hit the place up again while it had decent depth to play around in.

Thanks Britt.

As it stands now, I am hoping that we can get it open for April or May and run through September or October. Sooner depending on the lease options I am trying to work out. I will know more in a month or so.

Kenny, watch out, i may take you up on the free help. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom