Madison Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like I'll *finally* get to make it up to Madison. :D My buddy confirmed yesterday that we're go for Saturday. (Time to get all the cylinders filled again.)

What sort of temperatures are we looking at?

A month ago it was at about 83 to 84f on the bottom. might have cooled down a bit, but I'd be willing to bet it's still 76f or warmer.

Let me know for sure if you're coming and I might try to 'break free'

All,

I was at the quarry last weekend (Saturday) and the bottom temps were 78-80 depending on depth. Most people were using full 3-mil suits (with/without hoods or gloves) but some were still fine with 3-mil shortys.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Last quick reminder, Octoberfest at Madison Quarry is tomorrow. Dont forget to bring your extra equipment for trade days as well.

So far, we have a tank roll contest, snorkel races, throw rope toss, and food. Prizes will be given for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

We will be having a raffle for a Merge mask and a pair of Cortez fins, pick up your ticket when you arrive.

Last edited:
Can we combine the tank and throw rope events to make it the "tank tie and toss"? I bet you could even charge us divemasters extra for the privilege of finally getting to actually throw a tank absolutely as far as we can. :biggrin: (Hehe, if there's a liability concern with having other people around, you can just ask us to stay late... we're used to that, too. :rofl3:)

Seriously, though, I'm looking forward to this. Looks like moonbasket's a go (just got a text message), so look for a black Subaru Forester with Louisiana plates and at least one weirdo (that would be me). Or just watch for the guy with the braided ponytail and the partially-still-yellow pony and the pink webbing harness on his DSS plate. Chances are, that's me as well. (If it's not, someone's stolen my gear... and my hair. :))

(If I had been coming alone, you could have just looked for any white Hyundai Tiburons with Louisiana plates that said "CLAYJAR", but that's a moot point now, it appears. :D)

Were heading up to Madison this saturday for another round of diving before it closes for the season. Does anyone have a list of any compass coordinates from point to point. I know there are lines between alot of stuff but I would like to practice some nav skills. If not I guess we'll do the shoot and drop thing. Also any word on water temps since the nights got gooler?

Water temp was 75°F last weekend. I don't have any compass info, as we were just "hiking the trails".

Thanks, I'll try and remember a few coords and post up after the weekend.

The next Better Diver event at the Madison Quarry is... The Underwater Pumpkin Carving Contest and night dive which will be on the 25th of October. Its a BYOP (bring your own pumpkin) day.

The night dive on the 18th is canceled but we will have a night dive on Saturday the 25th.

Details will follow.

All set and ready to go.

Lee will have a heating station set up for anyone that gets cold after getting out of the water. The water should still be comfortable.

I wont guarantee the visibility near the platforms on Saturday since its hard to see through all the fish chasing pumpkin seeds. :rofl3:

We open at 9 AM and close at 9 PM on Saturday, 9AM til 6 PM on Sunday, and will be open from 9 AM until 6PM on Friday the 31st (Halloween).

Thanks for everyone's support in getting the quarry reopened and making it work this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom