Lynx - side-mount and back-mount switching and downloading dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil_C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

Can anyone out there answer for me just how the Lynx works with side-mount. I dive a combination of side mount and back mount single cylinder dependent on what I am doing, and am thinking of getting a Lynx and three transmitters because it appears to allow you to see both cylinders at the same time. So I would put one transmitter on my single cylinder regs and one each for the side mount set.

Do I need different software to use side mount with a Lynx or can I use one computer and switch it between showing two tanks or one according to which regs I am using.

Secondly can you download dives from the Lynx to a computer? I use and love Macdive to manage my dive logs and records and want to keep using it

Thanks - Phil

Hi,

Can anyone out there answer for me just how the Lynx works with side-mount. I dive a combination of side mount and back mount single cylinder dependent on what I am doing, and am thinking of getting a Lynx and three transmitters because it appears to allow you to see both cylinders at the same time. So I would put one transmitter on my single cylinder regs and one each for the side mount set.

Do I need different software to use side mount with a Lynx or can I use one computer and switch it between showing two tanks or one according to which regs I am using.

Secondly can you download dives from the Lynx to a computer? I use and love Macdive to manage my dive logs and records and want to keep using it

Thanks - Phil

Hi Phil, I guess you could say I was an early adopter of the Lynx this past spring/summer. I also switch between sidemount and backmount. I bought 2 transmitters for several reasons, and I use both of them for sidemount. The Lynx keeps track of transmitters by serial number, and you assign a name to each serial number. I have been sticking with the format of calling one transmitter me, and the other buddy. When I dive sidemount, I use the buddy mode, where both tank's psi are available on the main screen. It's pretty easy to keep track of which is which, and I have gages on 6" hoses as a backup. When I'm diving backmount, I just move the "me" transmitter to my backmount reg, and change to solo mode. So even though the sidemount software is not available yet, I have no trouble using it as I have described.

Yes, it does download dives to a computer, and I have read that they have a version of the dive log that runs on a Mac.

HTH!

Can it keep track of 3 different Tanks at the same time (Back mount and two side mount) with different gases and knows when you switch to each Tank?

---------- Post added December 8th, 2013 at 03:19 AM ----------

Hi Phil, I guess you could say I was an early adopter of the Lynx this past spring/summer. I also switch between sidemount and backmount. I bought 2 transmitters for several reasons, and I use both of them for sidemount. The Lynx keeps track of transmitters by serial number, and you assign a name to each serial number. I have been sticking with the format of calling one transmitter me, and the other buddy. When I dive sidemount, I use the buddy mode, where both tank's psi are available on the main screen. It's pretty easy to keep track of which is which, and I have gages on 6" hoses as a backup. When I'm diving backmount, I just move the "me" transmitter to my backmount reg, and change to solo mode. So even though the sidemount software is not available yet, I have no trouble using it as I have described.

HTH!

In the scenario you describe for when using SM, does the computer keep track of your deco status for both tanks and takes into consideration that you may have two different mixes or just the air pressure for the "buddy" tank?

Can it keep track of 3 different Tanks at the same time (Back mount and two side mount) with different gases and knows when you switch to each Tank?

It can keep track of psi on 3 tanks (up to 9 actually). However, the way I use it, I don't think there is any way to assign different gas to each transmitter.

---------- Post added December 8th, 2013 at 03:19 AM ----------

In the scenario you describe for when using SM, does the computer keep track of your deco status for both tanks and takes into consideration that you may have two different mixes or just the air pressure for the "buddy" tank?

The way I currently use it for sidemount, it only keeps track of the psi in the "buddy" tank. Keep in mind, this is kind of an "off label" way of using it for sidemount. Perhaps the new software that is coming out will take it to the level you describe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom