Lymphedema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

livestodive

Contributor
Reaction score
I have looked at the DAN website but was unable to find anything about diving and Lymphedema.

My regular dive buddy was treated for breast cancer this last year. She had surgery which involved removing 5 lymph nodes. We became aware that along with all the other problems, Lymphedema was a side affect. She shows no signs of it as of now but I am wondering if there is a greater risk of it appearing with diving.

Her surgeon allowed her to go diving 3 weeks after the surgery, but it was shallow and only one dive.
The surgeon is one of the best in the area but is not a diving physician.

Hmm, well this would be just an educated guess here since I don't know anyone with lymphedema who dives. I would think that diving should not aggrevating it and may actually help a little bit. First, you tend to get a bit dehydrated with diving so edema may be reduced to a certain extent. Assuming that your friend wear a full wetsuit, the wetsuit, especially at depth should work more or less like a compression stocking so it should also help a bit. This is just a guess though. I doubt there is a lot of hard evidence or document pro or cons otherwise but I certainly would like to know if there is a concensus on this issue.

The development of regional lymphedema would not be unusual following the surgical removal of lymph nodes (and possible radiation therapy?).

Given that any lymphedema has resolved, medical clearance to dive has been obtained & a trial dive was uneventful, there is no apparent reason to anticipate an onset/recrudescnce related to scuba.

Even though your buddy does not appear to have lymphedema, you may wish to read the following on the topic from LymphNotes.com--->

http://www.lymphnotes.com/article.php/id/64/

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

She is starting radiation next week. She finished chemo 2 weeks ago. All looks well at this point.

We wanted to book a Bonaire trip with the kids (all certified), but were afraid to until I could find something on the subject. I have read about the swimming being ok, but its a lil different than diving. She will be wearing a neoprene skin that fits snugly, we hope that will help also. She has not developed the Lymphadema at all. She will take all precautions we are aware of.

The sentinal node proceedure was followed and it did allow fewer nodes to be removed.

We will not take this as medical advice, but I want to thank you for your insight.

De nada, and please do let the forum know how it goes.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom