Luggage restriction for return trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue Sue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Even though Continental allows tools 7 inches or less to be packed in carry on luggage , including flights TO Cozumel, be aware that the rule does not apply to flying FROM Cozumel. The COZUMEL rule also applies to weights. Tools of any size, even a 3 1/2 inch screwdriver and a reading glass fixit kit, as well as weights of any kind must be in checked luggage for the return trip to the USA.

Fortunately, the folks in CZM were a lot more helpful than I suspect the folks in IAH would be. They put my six inch crescent wrench in an outside pocket of my checked luggage for me. Back home, it would have been a case of "tough luck".

They confiscated my wife's plastic knitting needles last time. Ok flying with them to Coz and actually ok when we flew out of CUN time before!

Fortunately, the folks in CZM were a lot more helpful than I suspect the folks in IAH would be. They put my six inch crescent wrench in an outside pocket of my checked luggage for me. Back home, it would have been a case of "tough luck".

You were fortunate.

I am planning on bringing a tool kit this year for basic hose repair and other stuff, so I will remember to check this in. crap, I did a weight check with the luggage last night and it is 48 pounds of just dive gear.

Well, I have had great luck both times..
This last trip through TSA, my 16yr old daughter had some 5" fiskars in her carry on. they let her keep it. Then they found my Swiss army knife (the thing hides from me all the time!) that I bought in switzerland back in 2000, and let me ship it back to myself.

I am happy to say our return trip this year had 0 issues as I made sure I had no live bullets anywhere around the bags I was taking.

I am planning on bringing a tool kit this year for basic hose repair and other stuff, so I will remember to check this in. crap, I did a weight check with the luggage last night and it is 48 pounds of just dive gear.

48 lbs of dive gear to dive Coz? You are taking too much.
Figure lights, bc, regs go in carry on, fins, booties, wetsuit, mask, gloves (I always wear mine), knife (I also always have mine) and we still keep the weight down to 41lbs. I rent weights and air.

My BC is massive and would bet it weighs more than most (TUSA BCJ-5960 IMPREX PRO CUBIC).

What all are you loading up?

Don't forget that it all probably won't be fully dry on the way home. I always leave a few pound cushion for "water weight" on the way home.

I'm packing gear for me and the wife. I do plan to carry on my Reg/octo/spg, computer, compass, mask/snorkel, but the BP/w is a bit much, so it goes into the checked. 2 shortie wetsuits, fins, backup masks, complete save-a-dive kit with tool kit.

48 lbs of dive gear to dive Coz? You are taking too much.
Figure lights, bc, regs go in carry on, fins, booties, wetsuit, mask, gloves (I always wear mine), knife (I also always have mine) and we still keep the weight down to 41lbs. I rent weights and air.

My BC is massive and would bet it weighs more than most (TUSA BCJ-5960 IMPREX PRO CUBIC).

What all are you loading up?

Can you wear gloves inside the park in CZM?

Back
Top Bottom