Lubricating hose fittings.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skookumchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My hose connectors for my bcd inflate and my drysuit whip are becoming difficult to attach. What should I use to lubricate them?

My hose connectors for my bcd inflate and my drysuit whip are becoming difficult to attach. What should I use to lubricate them?

Lubrication should be unnecessary and is probably a bad idea. The lubricant will hold dirt that may interfere with their operation. Clean them and make sure they are properly assembled and they should be good to go. I have seen inflator connectors that were difficult to operate because the schrader valve was a little loose.

I agree, they need to be clean and dry. You have probably accumulated grit / salt deposits in the mechanism.

Soak the ends in some warm water to help breakdown any dried deposits. Use a blow-gun to coax debris out of there. There is a slight chance that a ball will escape so don't get carried away.

If it's still not smooth you will need to take the connector apart. With a little TLC that round ring can be rolled out with a small tool. Then you can clean the components and put it back together. If that's not your gig then buy new hoses and start rinsing better after each dive day.

Pete

Last edited:
I agree, a good cleaning and no lube. If they are really bad, soaking the ends in a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water for 5-10 minutes...in as ultrasonic cleaner even better- followed by a good rinse with fresh water and blown out with dry air would be my next shot...if that does not work, time for new ones.

Back
Top Bottom