Question Lube for dry gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Guys
I just bought my first drysuit.
Got my gloves fitted on the rings and everything. When I tried to put them on myself it was really hard to pop them into the seal on my drysuit. Are there any recommendations to make it a bit easier or are they supposed to be extremely snug? Any type of lube that might have helped you in the past?
Really appreciate your answers!

From what I’ve read, dry o-rings will make your life hell getting your gloves on AND getting them back off if you do manage to Hulk smash them on in the first place. Others will likely recommend specific lubes.

Hey Guys
Got my gloves fitted on the rings and everything. When I tried to put them on myself it was really hard to pop them into the seal on my drysuit. Are there any recommendations to make it a bit easier or are they supposed to be extremely snug? Any type of lube that might have helped you in the past?
It would be helpful if you said what system you have. If you don't know what it is, post a photo

Marie nailed it. Silicone on the o-ring and call it a day. At the dive site, once suited up, you can use spit on a finger if you think they're a bit dry. I do that often and try to remember to silicone them later. More often than not I forget to treat them and just rub spit on them again.

I have Si-Tech quickgloves and they specifically say not to use silicone lube. Maybe the o-rings are silicone? (Then silicone lube would make them expand/weaken.) Anyway, I've just been using wax (yup, plain wax, like for canning) and it works fine.

I have Si-Tech quickgloves and they specifically say not to use silicone lube. Maybe the o-rings are silicone? (Then silicone lube would make them expand/weaken.) Anyway, I've just been using wax (yup, plain wax, like for canning) and it works fine.
Yes. The SiTech system uses super thin silicone orings. You should not need or use any lube at all.

Any dry glove system that you need to lubricate just to remove the glove is not quite right. I used the Ultima Rings for a long time but was always able to remove this pretty easily. I did lubricate with Silicone occasionally because they sealed better if I did. I think the rings would roll or twist without lubricating.

Hey Guys
You can use talcum powder, not to be confused with baby powder, as that will eat the seals. You can also use a small amount of beeswax, which is used on dry suit zippers routinely.

Dribble -- from your mouth -- on the rings to lubricate them when putting the gloves on. Use a bolt snap to lever them off if they're tight after the dive.

Better still, use some silicone grease to lube the rings and faces. Not too much though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom