LP 108 doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe you do...

Which, of course, doesn't answer my question. To refresh your memory, the question is why must one wear a dry suit to dive doubles? We are curious.

Dbl LP108's will require a 55-65lb lift wing. I personally dive DBL108 for my deep and cave configuration with a Zeagle 65lb big Bertha wing.

Because these tanks are so heavy you need to plan for secondary lift should you have a wing failure. This means a drysuit, a double bladder wing, dual wings, or a lift bag and reel from the depth that you'll be diving. You have to give yourself a way to the surface because you will not be able to swim these tanks up with a total wing failure.

BDL108s are the perfect tech tank as they are the recommended set of tanks for cave diving, if your able to carry them. Not every one can dive big boy tanks....

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Which, of course, doesn't answer my question. To refresh your memory, the question is why must one wear a dry suit to dive doubles? We are curious.

As long as you can swim the rig up from where ever you may be, it's not a problem.

I have a set of double Al80s and a set of LP108's. The big steels are a handful on land and with a 3500 fill I have plenty of gas to do pretty much any dive I would ever want to do. I have a rebuilt knee and do not use the 108s when I boat dive other than on Under Pressure who has a elevator lift.

I am 6'2" 220 lbs and they trim out well for me. I use a Hollis 65 lb double bladder wing when I dive wet or a drysuit with a Halcyon 50lb wing.

Rule for wearing a drysuit with doubles comes from technical training requirements for secondary flotation in the event of a complete wing failure. This rule mostly applies to steel tanks which continue to be very negative even when empty, AL tanks however go positive as you get below 500PSI and as such give you the opportunity to dash for the surface as you run out of gas.

As long as you have some form of secondary flotation which can be deployed quickly you may be ok. Just be sure that if the hard-bottom is well beyond your planed depth that the secondary lift should be integrated and can be deployed in seconds.

T.

Dbl LP108's will require a 55-65lb lift wing. I personally dive DBL108 for my deep and cave configuration with a Zeagle 65lb big Bertha wing.

Because these tanks are so heavy you need to plan for secondary lift should you have a wing failure. This means a drysuit, a double bladder wing, dual wings, or a lift bag and reel from the depth that you'll be diving. You have to give yourself a way to the surface because you will not be able to swim these tanks up with a total wing failure.

BDL108s are the perfect tech tank as they are the recommended set of tanks for cave diving, if your able to carry them. Not every one can dive big boy tanks....

T.

a buddy can also offer redundant lift

I dive 108's and I'm physically big enough that they are manageable (6-02, 215lbs). I'd get lp 95's though If I had it to do over though as that's what the rest of the team I dive with has. When you look at the weight difference you're really not getting much more gas.

Dry suit provides immediate backup bouyancy control. no fumbling for smb or the like. I know there are those who do not believe the need for a DS with doubles. wet suits are just fine untill you loose your wing an you become 20-25 heavy. for some dives it just doesnt make any diference. IE a shallow bottom. However if you were say diving the Oriskiny and you were in doubles not following the line down and you blew your wing or bcd ,,,, you start sinking perhaps 100 ft per minute. you dont have time to pull a lift bag and inflate or an smb to catch you when bottom is say 230 ft and you are using a 32% mix. As you know the extreem negative bouyancy of the doubles rig is unique. with singles you can probably just swim them up. All this does not take into account the issue of wet suit compresson to add to the bouyancy problem. That is the basis bfor my statement. I have had real experience with such problems and now have the protocol to handle doubles in a wet suit. however the reliability of such methods can not compllare with what the ds offers.

Why? I routinely dive doubles without a dry suit.

I just carry a lift bag for redundant lift whether diving dry or wet.
If caving I do not carry a lift bag that is the exception.
108's are a great choice for doubles a 55lb - 65lb lift wing is suitable.
Dry suits are awesome for redundant lift but as I said I carry a lift bag any way.

I have had a wing failure on a night dive that I was wearing a dry suit.
I had to find the sweet spot for my neck as over inflated dry suits like to vent out your neck.
I made a safe exit, repaired the wing and repeated the dive.
If I had been diving wet it would have been ugly but I would have ditched my rig or walked out either way UGLY so I determined to always carry a lift bag.

Knowing your comfort level, skill level, and aware of your dive site with a solid dive plan will help you to deal with failures.
If you are going to dive regularly you WILL have failure it is only a matter of time.
Proper gear maintenance will keep things to a minimum but the nature of travel and dive gear or a careless diver on the boat will ensure a issue at some point.
Be safe train well and always keep dives within your limits.

CamG

If caving I do not carry a lift bag that is the exception.

WHat redundancy do you have in a cave then? Do you always go with a drysuit? I plan on using these in caves.

Lucky dog, that's a fantastic deal on a pair of lp108! I paid close to $1000 for a set last year.

If carrying them on your back is a problem, you could always sidemount them.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom