LP 108 doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tickler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, I am saving up for a doubles configuration and am purchasing my first steel tanks. A buddy of mine has offered some up to date LP 108's to me for a very good price ($300 for both) and I was wondering if these would be absolutely too big for a doubles rig. I am young and my back is in good health so I can take it but are there wings out there big enough? Help me out, what sort of lif capacity would I need for something like these? 55lbs? More? How do you calculate what is needed? I cannot imagine these tanks being that negative in the water.

Thanks for helping a newbie.

How big are you and what kind of exposure suit will you be wearing?

I am 175lbs and 6'1". I typically wear a 5mm semi dry.

Tickler
what are you panning on doing with doubles?

here is a link for the tank specs Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------bouyancy
OMS 108 (112)
2400 +10%
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------cuft --------dia --height ---weight --mt ------full

the last 2 numbers -1 empty -8 full. thats crap cause air is 8 per 100 so it is probably closer to -10 when full. then you have another 6-8 of regs so that is now according to this chart -82 for tanks -20 for air -11 for regs and manifold so you will be around 120# on your back and your bouyancy will be around -25 without the -8 back plate. For me that is too much weight for me at my age. I doubled lp85's. Its 20# lighter. and bouyancy is probably for sake of discussion the same. As for your wing you will need a min of 48-50#. Bigger is not always better when it comes to wings. Another thing to consider is backup bouyancy device..Usually that means a Dry suit. Rule of thumb dont dive doubles without dry suit.

btw they would be good single tanks,

Hello, I am saving up for a doubles configuration and am purchasing my first steel tanks. A buddy of mine has offered some up to date LP 108's to me for a very good price ($300 for both) and I was wondering if these would be absolutely too big for a doubles rig. I am young and my back is in good health so I can take it but are there wings out there big enough? Help me out, what sort of lif capacity would I need for something like these? 55lbs? More? How do you calculate what is needed? I cannot imagine these tanks being that negative in the water.

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Can you tell us what you plan to do with the tanks in terms of your goals / where you are now? i have 2 friends that dive Lp108 on of them is 6'2" and built, he dives them ok the other one is a little smaller 5'10" he is fighting them on land like crazy. i see you live i Florida i do to, are you going to dive them in the ocean or in the springs/ caves? those really suck in the ocean for the most part, i have some LP 98 and im slowly getting sick of them. Also take into account that a drysuit is really recommended when using those LP beasts.

108's are great tanks from what i here but i think they're use only out weighs there size when you really are going to use them to where they are needed.

from how i see it

no deco dives to deco dives in the ~150-165 foot range can be done with double 80's. no drysuit needed on hot days or heavy lifting. Lifes great :) ballaned rig so u can swim em up if your wing poops out.

deeper or longer deco dives in 150- the bottom. then yea the 108s would be useful and worth the hasslle. espeially since u can fill em a little over the rated pressure if you know what i mean :wink:

im not to sure about cave diving tho, as i know people that make 80's work great in caves. but know others that swear that LP steel is the only way to go in N.FL

if you have the 300 buy them as thats a great price for 2 tanks but keep in mind that the tanks are heavy as hell and give you a large amount of unneeded hassle in and out of the water aswell as extra gas that you could do with out if your a beginner in doubles/ tech.

if you do get them you will need a 50-60 lb wing, a drysuit and and aluminum back plate. plus lots of diving to get you, mr and miss left and right tank, and there buddy mr drysuit very very well acquainted

Rule of thumb dont dive doubles without dry suit.

Why? I routinely dive doubles without a dry suit.

I am cavern certified right now and am using AL 80's. In order to progress to the intro to cave level I need to have redundant regulators. In order to switch all 4 of my AL 80 valves over to H valves it would cost more than it would to get these tanks and a doubles manifold and it is what I would need for full cave down the line anyways.

I know that there are some bladders that are redundant but other than those and a dry suit, what sort of buoyancy device is there?

Other than a double bladder or a drysuit??? A lift bag.

Lp 108's are heavy, but manageable. I have dove my Lp 121's in shorts and a tshirt, with a 58lb wing. Not the ideal practice, but can be done.
Usually when I dive doubles I use my drysuit and a 40lb wing.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom