low pressure steel 125

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideband:
At what point does the burst disk come into play? Do they change out the valve to a HP valve for that? I thought the threads were different on the neck. Sorry. Don't mean to hijack here but this just seems extreme to me. I guess I can stop feeling like I'm doing something wrong when I get a fill to almost 3000psi in my LP95 eh?

Most of the people that jack up their tanks that high replace the burst disks with either a stainless steel disk (won't burst) or double disk the tanks (also won't burst). I don't believe the necks are any different and there is no significant difference in the steel between a HP and LP tank. However, you'd definitely want a 300 bar DIN valve, since 4000 psi = ~270 bar. Steel tanks are rated to something like 10,000 cycles @ 5000+psi. I've never heard any reports of steel tank exploding. Aluminum, on the other hand, is not a good idea to overfill.

3000 psi is nothing to worry about in a LP95. Even us northerners get fills like that if you know the person filling the tanks.

Soggy:
Most of the people that jack up their tanks that high replace the burst disks with either a stainless steel disk (won't burst) or double disk the tanks (also won't burst). I don't believe the necks are any different and there is no significant difference in the steel between a HP and LP tank. However, you'd definitely want a 300 bar DIN valve, since 4000 psi = ~270 bar. Steel tanks are rated to something like 10,000 cycles @ 5000+psi. I've never heard any reports of steel tank exploding. Aluminum, on the other hand, is not a good idea to overfill.

3000 psi is nothing to worry about in a LP95. Even us northerners get fills like that if you know the person filling the tanks.

Thanks. I did not know that, obviously. I will now return you all to our regularly scheduled thread.

Joe

skistowe:
I can get the tanks at $150 for two or $100 for one, they need to be hydroed and they need valves, either k or something else. With the valves I am lost as to which one to go with. What do you think? I appreciate your insight and comments.
If you decide not to get them, let me know and I will jump at the chance.

msandler:
they're a ***** on land but dive well. you can jam 160 cuft into them (spare me the flames...). If it gets too cumbersome, you can banish it to O2 service, get a transfill whip and pp blend your own trox (providing you can find a shop that will top-off) :)
if the price is right....
ps. get an H-valve

I used to cram 180cf into the LP 125's...........steel will take it, aluminum will not.

Back
Top Bottom