Love goPro and want a super-simple mount (not head mount)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there, Got that Hero3 for Xmas and love it already! We are able to take nice video of our underwater activities to share with our friends right out of the box. We began using the head mount but it sux -- not recommended. So now we're carrying it around by hand, stuffing it in our BCD pocket when not is use -- which works -- but I'd like to get some sort of simple mount, without even extra lighting -- maybe a strap for our forearm? The chest mount MIGHT work ... yeah, maybe.

Any suggestions for something along these lines that we can buy and use out of the box?

We also have noticed the LONG charge times using the USB charger as others have noticed. Want to get the wall charger. Anyone have a line on a good one at a low price?

Any suggestions on the best (cheapest hi-quality) 64GB MicroSD card? Do we need *any* Series 10 MicroSD card, or one of those extra-special MicroSD cards? (SDXC or whatever)

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill

You want to have total control over water your filming. So anything on your head means that every little turn of attention is going to result in a pretty annoying result. Any other body or equipment mount is great for cut away shots, but not suitable for your main field of focus. So the best options are going to be those you hold in your hand/s. A "grenade" grip is simple, has a strap to secure to your wrist and compact enough to tuck out of the way when you need to. Here is a site that has the product info. Grenade Grip - GoPro® Hand Grip by GoPole There are telescopic and longer pole versions which personally I would avoid using as they will have excessive movement while your swimming and easily effected by water movement. Having said that, the longer fixed pole does give your the advantage of getting closer to a subject you may not be able to without one. Your other more expensive option is a tray from SRP or similar Tray Its heavier in the water so enable you to maintain a steadier picture. The top of each handle can be fitted with a wide range of flexible light systems for low light applications.

I have found GoPro's genuine twin USB charger to be the best. It has a high current output, so can easily charge to USB devices in a reasonable time. Plus it comes with a range of international squick fit plug adaptors

Any known brand of Class 10 MicroSD card will give you a reliable video transfer. You don't need to spend the extra money on getting the expensive pro-versions unless you intend on mainly shooting in the high cine quality modes. These are also more data hungry. Otherwise 32Gb for 1080/60 will give more storage time than the battery will run for and save you money. When travelling I prefer to use more cards and keep one/shoot activity. That way should anything go wrong (highly unlikely) I have lost minimal data

Hope that helps

Hands free it is not, but a pole lets you get in the shot. They make small, light, extendable poles.

Look at the ones available at Makospearguns.com.
Click on the GoPro link and you will see a variety of mounts and handles. I made a similar one out of an old dive light handle. I use a lanyard and keep it around my wrist. I can clip off the lanyard to my D-ring on the BC but really, it is not inconvenient to carry it in hand or let it hang from my wrist.

one video shows how and where to install the mount the other is of a dive using the mount in Cancun.The mount can be placed on either shoulder to avoid some of those regulator hose shots. It is also is with in hands reach to turn on or off, and adjust the angle.
:D[video=youtube;kjkMU-S8DdM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjkMU-S8DdM[/video]
[video=youtube;9_c1VBTxKPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_c1VBTxKPw[/video]

:)
Hi there, Got that Hero3 for Xmas and love it already! We are able to take nice video of our underwater activities to share with our friends right out of the box. We began using the head mount but it sux -- not recommended. So now we're carrying it around by hand, stuffing it in our BCD pocket when not is use -- which works -- but I'd like to get some sort of simple mount, without even extra lighting -- maybe a strap for our forearm? The chest mount MIGHT work ... yeah, maybe.

Any suggestions for something along these lines that we can buy and use out of the box?

We also have noticed the LONG charge times using the USB charger as others have noticed. Want to get the wall charger. Anyone have a line on a good one at a low price?

Any suggestions on the best (cheapest hi-quality) 64GB MicroSD card? Do we need *any* Series 10 MicroSD card, or one of those extra-special MicroSD cards? (SDXC or whatever)

Thanks,

Bill

Try this link - The Original Flexible Camera Tripod by JOBY: Now in 4 new hues! Folds into a pistol grip for handheld shots or if you want to mount it to something static just open to a tripod or wrap the legs around something. Tripod costs $19.95 and a GoPro tripod adapter costs $7.99. Cheap, flexible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom