Lost Weights @ Windy Point Private

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydro12

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey folks,

This past Saturday (Jan 6th) did first dive of the New Year at Windy Point Private w/ a buddy from Austin. Let him use my Pro Unlimited BC (since I was sporting my new DSS bp/w :)) and somehow he managed to lose one of the integrated weight pockets on the first (and consequently last) dive (it was 57 F and I, somehow rather foolishly, left my drysuit at the house 2 hours away and was diving a 3/2mm).

The weight pocket is the thin variety for the M/L size SeaQuest BCD - only wide enough to hold two weights, stacked on top of each other - and is the 2005 model so it has velcro instead of the Sur-Lock (TM) snaps. It has two soft weights in it (maroon and gray - I think that's a 3 lbs and 2 lbs, respectively) and should be between 40 ft and the surface in between stairs 1 and 2.

Next time I'm down, I might try to run a search pattern for the fun of it, but I don't get a chance to get to Austin very often so I figured some of you guys might see it before I do.

Not to dump on anyone here, but just curious as I've found weight belts and pockets on the lake before. How can you not notice you've lost weights until you've surfaced or at least left the area while still on your dive? Seems there might be some bouyancy issues.

Hope you retrieve your gear Hydro. If I get down to the lake later this week, I'll keep an eye out.

I asked him the same question!

Heh, he looked down and said, "oh, I guess THAT's why I was rolling to one side."

He hadn't dived in a bit and probably wasn't familiar with how he should have felt - I'm just glad he didn't shoot to the surface.

Thanks for the extra set of eyes Shaggie.

57 degrees and only a 3/2!!! How did you manage to work his weight release without getting caught?:D

Heh, he was wearing a 7mm, I was in a 3/2mm - he said he was actually pretty comfy. Otherwise my theory would have been he shivered the weights right out of the pockets.

I might be diving Sunday, I'll keep an eye out as well.

Back
Top Bottom