Lost Gopro Thursday April 28th On Palancar Caverns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gopro doesn't even have a viewing screen to see what you're shooting does it or has that changed?
On some models it's optional, some come with a stock screen. AFAIK all gopros are capable of having a screen. It's a $40 add-on for models that don't come with one stock. I think part of the reason you see so many crappy gopro videos is because they are cheap (compared to any other 4k camera). People get the cheap camera and don't spend any time learning how to shoot and edit video.

As far as color balance issues and color palette selection, that is user error. Modern gopro cameras can record flat color palette, have a variety of ISO settings (up to 6400), manual color balance, manual exposure value correction, manual sharpness controls. They also shoot 4k30 or 2k60 or 1080p120, something even most dslr's don't do. I think it's an extremely reasonable feature set for a video camera that isn't at least dslr quality.

The one thing gopro lacks (afaik) is a remote trigger for external strobes when shooting stills.

I will say that shooting and editing video is difficult - especially underwater video. I don't think it has much to do with the camera model. I tried and gave up. Switched to a camera better suited (in my opinion) for still photography.

That changed a couple of models / years ago.

On some models it's optional, some come with a stock screen. AFAIK all gopros are capable of having a screen. It's a $40 add-on for models that don't come with one stock. I think part of the reason you see so many crappy gopro videos is because they are cheap (compared to any other 4k camera). People get the cheap camera and don't spend any time learning how to shoot and edit video.

As far as color balance issues and color palette selection, that is user error. Modern gopro cameras can record flat color palette, have a variety of ISO settings (up to 6400), manual color balance, manual exposure value correction, manual sharpness controls. They also shoot 4k30 or 2k60 or 1080p120, something even most dslr's don't do. I think it's an extremely reasonable feature set for a video camera that isn't at least dslr quality.

I see. As you can tell my understanding of the gopro system is out of date, sounds like it's been improved upon and a better value now. I will remove foot from mouth now.

Gopro doesn't even have a viewing screen to see what you're shooting does it or has that changed?

If you're that unfamiliar with the product how can you be so assertive about it's shortcomings and alleged lower quality?

Or just down from Palancar caverns. I would be happy to at least get the SD card back from the trip. It was a father son trip with my 10 yr old who got certified this winter in Roatan. We had some nice footage with him and a turtle that swam between us. The thread has cr acted some interesting discussion. I have found the GoPro gives ok to good video. Some of the high clarity days in Roatan actually looked quite crisp and colorful. Plus it is rather compact when it does not come unclipped.

Sorry to have participated in the off topic discussion. I do hope you find your camera!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom