Lost Gopro Thursday April 28th On Palancar Caverns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI - NuPro cameras are a GoPro competitor targeting the water sport world (scuba, fishing, surfing, etc) that I believe is a much better camera at a lower cost and you don't need to buy cases to waterproof it.
Why would you need to buy a case for a GoPro? A GoPro comes with a dandy waterproof case included, along with rather nice video software. Add some aftermarket spare batteries + charger, maybe a few extra mounts, maybe some clip on red filters - that's only a few tens of dollars. And the only way I could imagine spending so much more as some folks have mentioned would be with a tray with a pair of real video lights.

OK, I did just buy a threaded attachment plus macro lenses for my Hero Silver, and I went with the $15 version instead of the more expensive flip-on / flip-off. Maybe I'll regret going cheap, but it's a low cost experiment.

Amazon.com : Neewer 52MM Close-up Filter Set for GoPro Hero 3+/4: (1)52mm Macro Close-up Filter Set(+1, +2, +4, +10) + (1)52mm Lens Filter Ring Adapter + (1)Microfiber Cleaning Cloth + (1)Filter Carrying Pouch : Camera & Photo

Since hero3, the gopro line has come with cases that have the flat front "dive ready" lens. I think they're rated to 130'. I've certainly seen video on youtube taken with gopros using factory cases much deeper.

like I said :eek:!!!

Spending that kind of money for that kind of video system??? For what they are I thought nobody was spending much for them. You can't even manually white balance them can you or have they added that now?

In the past, a decent video setup would have cost you much more with much lower video quality. A video housing alone used to cost up to $1000.

For what they are? What are they? There are some high quality videos being turned out by Gopros. The current Gopros can capture video at resolutions and frame rates that are way beyond even professional cameras of yesteryear.

There are knockoffs now that are cheaper but I haven't seen any that pass muster with diver reviews. Besides, the real money is in the lights and filters. The base camera is just $329. You can't manually white balance on the camera during video but you can set white balance to native in Protune and manually balance in editing. The "auto" mode on Gopro is adequate for most users who just want to take vacation videos with decent color and resolution.

FYI - NuPro cameras are a GoPro competitor targeting the water sport world (scuba, fishing, surfing, etc) that I believe is a much better camera at a lower cost and you don't need to buy cases to waterproof it.

Lower cost? That web page lists the Submarine, the version for scuba, at $349. That's more than the Hero 4 Silver you can get on Amazon for $329. And what if you want any accessories like filters?

Last edited:
Lower cost? That web page lists the Submarine, the version for scuba, at $39. That's more than the Hero 4 Silver you can get on Amazon for $329. And what if you want any accessories like filters?
I think you're missing a digit there. $349 is what the page says. The nupro also only does 1080p, where the gopro black ($429) does 4k30.

I think you're missing a digit there. $349 is what the page says. The nupro also only does 1080p, where the gopro black ($429) does 4k30.

Yes, corrected. Point is, it's not any cheaper than the Hero 4 Silver and your accessory market is vastly more limited.

On the other hand, when your lanyard breaks and it slips away into the sea, your lost Nupro post will stand out from the crowd...

For what they are? What are they? There are some high quality videos being turned out by Gopros. The current Gopros can capture video at resolutions and frame rates that are way beyond even professional cameras of yesteryear.

ummm resolution is one thing but... that's a bit debatable to say the least about what can be turned out. A camera who main user seems to use it by mounting to their head and who videos are documentaries of their entire 40 minute dive....uh....hmmmm

There are exceptions but for the most part I can spot a Gopro video pretty quickly, the wacky skewered angle of view, the odd 'Gopro' color pallete. the heavy filtered transitions from depth, the 'gopro' frame rate look, the difficulty and basically almost lack of much of any macro footage... Not saying there aren't some people who can really turn out some exceptional footage with a Gopro, but I don't know, I think the majority of people familiar with them understand they are more than a couple of steps down from even a moderately priced DSL. If all you want to do is put a camera on a selfy-stick or shoot video off your head you've got the right tool, if your aspirations are a little higher, you're probably going to be a lot happier with a Luminex or a sony rx200 which will take you leaps and bounds beyond a gopro with a fully functioning less expensive camera, (even with a white balance, and of course faster lens), yep you're going to pass the gopro cost when you add the housing, being just under $1000 all together, but man, what a camera you have, and the reason I'm shocked if anybody is spending over $2000 to shoot with a gopro, just seems strange to me that's all.

ummm resolution is one thing but... that's a bit debatable to say the least about what can be turned out. A camera who main user seems to use it by mounting to their head and who videos are documentaries of their entire 40 minute dive....uh....hmmmm

You seem to have an axe to grind, or maybe just a video snob, with all the references to mounting it on their head. The number of divers I see using a Gopro with a tray or pole outnumbers headmount users by 50:1 at least. Nobody is spending $2K unless using high quality lights and the lights will add the same to your sony or luminex. Post some of your marvelous video taken with your sony or luminex and show us the difference.

No need to get upset or call somebody a snob. More than one person has stated that some people do spend the same amount on their gopro outfits that would buy them a more featured and powerful system. I can't change what others have said. Direct your disbelief at them not me.

You seem to not believe than anybody is investing that much into using a Gopro, if you're right, I'm on your side cause like yourself I can't see why.

Gopro doesn't even have a viewing screen to see what you're shooting does it or has that changed?

Gopro doesn't even have a viewing screen to see what you're shooting does it or has that changed?
That changed a couple of models / years ago. And to reiterate, the I'd wager the vast majority of GoPro users (1) don't spend that much money and (2) are shooting video and stills for their own purposes and enjoyment, not to compete with more serious photographers.

You may not have intended it, but your comments did come across as snobbish to me, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom