Lost diver in Puget Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting points here about responsibility.
Something I didn’t think about but should have when I leaned to dive:
-Asked to see the instructor’s verification some agency felt he was competent and checked with that agency to verify the determination was current. I’m guilty of a trust me learning serious activity. I’m a reasonably trusting person, it never occurred to me that friends recommendations could be irresponsible or incorrect. Wow. Luckily I don’t think I suffered by not verifying but I sure can see how people can.

Personal views on responsibility for this tragedy:
-I do really think Chad holds primary responsibility for his death. Trusting does not absolve one from common sense and exercising their judgment they can or should do something. Few people can know all the risks but reasonably good judgment leads one to investigate if there are any. Investigation showing 1 call of no problem from a trusted professional and a vastly larger number of no way José from any other type or level of experience is in my opinion; a disregard of available advice. Frankly I find it impossible to believe Chad after 150 dives, had never sought information from any other source than his instructor. While he may not have known fully what he was getting into, he had to have had some idea. He chose to take his actions (from what has been presented here); to make a deep dive on an AL air 80, to dive deep, and continue deeper. Whatever the instructor did to encourage, I don’t see Chad forcibly drug in kicking and screaming.

-The above does not absolve the instructor from his involvement or contribution. It merely is a beginning point. When I was learning to drive I tried insisting, “But I had the right of way!” over a dump truck. The point that made a lasting impression on me was that who had the right of way is immaterial to you when you are dead. However, it may be very important to those still alive.

-Nor do I wish to imply or suggest the instructor should not be held from having any responsibility. I just feel first and foremost; I am responsible for my actions, particularly in light of repercussions from said actions.

I’m confused with literal legal implications here (not the ethics.)
-If an instructor is not legally an instructor, how can they be held responsible for following or not following agency or whoever it was that was going to provide the certification for the class protocols?
-If the ‘instructor’ was an implied instructor (fired from class operator and not a recognized instructor from the agency he was misrepresenting himself as), is he not solely involved? Particularly when this ‘class’ was independently formed and operated by said (instructor) imposter?
-Is a person that passes himself fraudulently held to the same criminal standards as the genuine article?

-Is the dive shop originally hosting the class, having fired the planned (?) instructor, legally obligated to notify any person who may come in contact with said former instructor and advise them (potential students) his professional capacity may be in question?

-I read the referred to site posts that indicate Chad had done this dive before and was AOW already. (Clearly all is subject to factual confirmation.) If he had done this before he wasn’t doing it blindly trusting, but with reasonable awareness from previous experience. And if he was AOW, could he have been just tagging along with a ‘class’ (albeit fraudulent) and therefore contributing to the injury of other accompanying divers as the instructor is blamed to be?

I do not think any of this can possibly provide any comfort the grieving. From all accounts, Chad was a worthy young man and it appears he made a grievous mistake or chain of mistakes. His passing will no doubt affect those who knew him for years to come, in all probability negatively. One negative is almost certainly financial and I can understand the desire to make someone, literally, pay. Quite possibly the ‘instructor’ barred from professional accreditation is justified. Perhaps too it may be justified for the family to seek financial recourse for the loss of Chad’s income support or financial responsibilities. I’ve seen no mention of Dave’s financial status but it seems likely having lost his job and ability for employment in his last known industry, he may be insolvent. Is it a good course of action considering the expense and emotional trauma, to seek such recourse if the defendant has little or no resources? Should/could the justified anger at losing Chad cause unfavorable legal precedent to recreational diving opportunities?

What comfort I do hope the family and friends of Chad do find is that his experience has been made public and someone such as myself, thousands of miles away can learn from it. This tragedy does provide opportunity for improvement. I’m considering issues that do or may affect me some day in ways I had not previously considered. Issues such as risk assessment, liability, level of trust determination and personal responsibility in an activity I find is a source of great joy.
Tomorrow I’m taking a private Master’s skills class. And as embarrassing as I feel it will be due to my regard for the requested instructor, I’m going to check his credentials. I consider it a step along the way of assuming personal responsibility, I thought I was. In a way, a small step, I expect to find him more qualified than I knew. Yet I think, a huge stride towards making an informed decision and living up to my claim I do.

I dont think that every one understands that this is not a class but just friends going diving I wasnt there that night but chad was my best diving buddy and I dove with all those guy and was certed from the same instructor very tragic that this had to happen

big diver:
I dont think that every one understands that this is not a class but just friends going diving I wasnt there that night but chad was my best diving buddy and I dove with all those guy and was certed from the same instructor very tragic that this had to happen

We do, an instructor needs to be held to a higher standard. You yourself express in another post your depth record is 150, and here that you were certified by the same instructor. That instructor is NOT a tech instr., isn't it strange that deep air diving is "cool" among his students?

At a very basic level he doesn't get it and that attituide has been passed along. Now your friend is dead in what really boils down to being in the "cool crowd" that this instructor lead from his position of trust.

big diver:
I dont think that every one understands that this is not a class but just friends going diving
There seems to be conflicting information on that point from the people who were there. I have spoken to two of the divers involved, and dived with one of them. One said there was no class going on ... the other told me that this dive was part of the AOW class he was taking with Dave. I'm not sure that either knew what Dave had told the other about the nature of the dive. Seeing's how Dave neglected to let them know that he had been fired from Lighthouse for stealing ... and in fact had sold some of the stolen gear to these same divers ... it doesn't look like he was completely honest about much.

big diver:
I wasnt there that night but chad was my best diving buddy and I dove with all those guy and was certed from the same instructor
From what I have been told by those same two people, at least one of the other divers involved has changed his story several times in an effort to protect Dave. That's a shame ... and a disservice to Chad's family and memory. Dave may be your friend, but a responsible instructor would never have accompanied someone on their 11th dive (Dave's dive buddy, Steve) on a planned 200-foot dive. In fact, no sane instructor would even contemplate something like that. Instructors are trained to know better ... and Dave clearly violated his training in multiple ways.

It's also worth noting that when Chad found Steve crawling around on the bottom at 211 feet (the depth registered on Steve's dive computer), Dave was not with him. Here's something for you to ponder ... it may be possible to do a 200-foot bounce dive on an AL80, but if something goes wrong ... as it did in this case ... and you have to go back down and attempt to rescue another diver ... your chances of running out of air before reaching the surface are very high.

big diver:
very tragic that this had to happen
This didn't have to happen. THIS SHOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED.

You guys need to stop rationalizing and start recognizing the sheer stupidity of the act that cost your friend his life. Chad is not the first person to die on this wall diving attempting 200-foot bounce dives on AL80s and air. And unless you ... and every other diver who considers doing them ... recognize how utterly wrong it is, he won't be the last.

You guys are violating every safety rule you were supposed to have been taught in your OW class ... apparently because that's what you DIDN'T LEARN from the guy who taught you how to dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

simply boils down to not diving beyond your training and this is a prime example of poor judgement on all divers behalves. it makes no sence to do this dive in the first place.

big diver:

It doesn't matter if it was a class or not, and it certainly didn't have to happen.

Any instructor with two brain cells to rub together would have done anything necessary to keep a diver with a single 80 from doing a 200'+ dive, especially on air.

Terry

big diver:

Regardless of whether or not is was a class or just guys diving. The great and mighty Dave Graddon who you luck up to, almost got your other buddy Steve killed by taking him to a deep site leaving him in the water alone as a new diver at 211 feet. Steve as I understand it had about a dozen dives and was working toward AOW is that correct?

If Steve was only OW then his depth limit should have been 60 and he was found by Chad alone on the bottom at 211 feet or 151 feet over his limit.

If Steve was AOW then the depth rec limit becomes 130 so at that point he was still over his depth limit by 81 feet.

We are not talking 5 or 10 feet over the limit in either case, but over by a substantial amount.

From your post it sounds like you really like Dave and think he is good dive buddy. I hope your friends death will make you rethink the training you got from this guy. You have been diving “successfully” with the training you got from him—meaning you are alive after the dive, but you make not be diving safely—even though the training from Dave says you are.

Now you may say that I don’t know anything and need to mind my own business. Well, there is a lot I don’t know. I do know your “best buddy” is dead and other divers on that dive had to have medical treatment and Dave is in a lot of hot water. If your buddy’s death won’t make you rethink things and reevaluate your training then I suspect nothing will. For your sake and your family’s sake, I hope you will get some additional training from someone other than Dave. I have read from your other posts that you have already gone beyond rec limits and are following the same course as your buddy Chad.

"This didn't have to happen. THIS SHOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED. "

"You guys need to stop rationalizing and start recognizing the sheer stupidity of the act that cost your friend his life. Chad is not the first person to die on this wall diving attempting 200-foot bounce dives on AL80s and air. And unless you ... and every other diver who considers doing them ... recognize how utterly wrong it is, he won't be the last.

You guys are violating every safety rule you were supposed to have been taught in your OW class ... apparently because that's what you DIDN'T LEARN from the guy who taught you how to dive."

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob!!!
This is by farthest the best post in regards to this whole incident....THANKYOU!!!
It was a STUPID Dive , a DEATH DID NOT HAVE TO OCCUR!!! I am sorry that a person died, another was "injured" and an instructor did not perform in their capacity...but to quote Bob....This did not have to happen...
Think about it....
Kirsten

Well I do hope the "Instructor" - whether he was acting as one at the time or not = is reviewed properly by local authorities and a fair hearing, perhaps trial brings a fair result.

Trying him here would not be appropriate, even if he were here to face the accusers. The trials do happen here, but that is not the purpose of the board, of course.

I think our purpose here is but to learn from the mistakes of others - all of them! They all screwed up on this dive, and we can learn much from those examples and help ourselves (alright many of you already know) and others to avoid them.

The big one is to not follow even the most accomplished Instructor or more experienced Dive Team Leader on a Trust-Me dive beyond what we know are prudent limits - as was done by all. There will be times that this will cause problems, I'm sure, and that's something to prepare for...

What do I do when the leader wants to lead somewhere I don't want to follow? Am I prepared to stand with safe limits in spite of his anger?

Not that I am a particularly safe diver - but even as much of a maverick as I can be at times, I wouldn't have followed on this one.

This points up that there are no Scuba Police. No one stops any of us from doing whatever we want underwater. We can go inside wrecks or caves as we please unless privately owned. We can go as far and as deep as we wish. But because we can doesn't mean we should.

In my life very few accidents have only one contributing cause. From what has been posted it seems there was one that could be a good lesson for us all. Just because someone says something is safe doesn't make it so. The penalty for not having a very good idea of one's ability and the willingness to say: "I'm not doing that. It is outside my boundaries" is severe.

If the facts are as posted there is little doubt the leader/instructor as a professional was at fault. But, from personal knowledge I know that some instructors do not have the students health and well being as much on their mind as they should have. So, ultimately it is up to each of us to hone that sense of self-preservation.

Before someone jumps on me: I'm not "blaming the victim" here. But from reports he did do the dive without being under duress.

So, lets get all the lessons out of this unfortunate accident. Maybe it might save someone else, eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom