Looks like Frances is on the way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing that could make this a major CF in Central Florida is the debris from Charley being used in Frances (the CF twin storms as they are now known) as projectiles. They are slowly clearing our streets, will it be enough??? I did a quick survey around my house, no large trees that could be blown in our direction - those were all trimmed down last time, at least by north or east winds (as we are hopefully likely to be on the west side of the eye) and of course this house is all concrete blocks, so should stand up a little better than the matchstick houses around us! Just a question of whether i can get the car out in the morning with a drive full of debris again. Might think of getting an axe or chainsaw this week, little gas stove and propane might also be in order, water and food are reasonably taken care of - just see what comes i guess, i hate this waiting game though, particularly after the last one that came through.

Will make decisions on diving saturday and monday as they come along, tentative plans, but could all change of course.

baitedstorm:
All this information and can you believe the idiots that run our apartment complex decided to go ahead with renovating a previous building mistake ,it's bad enough I've been listening to harmmering (12 hours a day) for almost 3 weeks while they put everything back together in the front, but to start a new section knowing there's a storm coming is just insane. So, we're now sitting upstairs in our apartment with sheet rock up and a few boards holding it in place (no worries, it's only on the EAST side, and we're not very far from the ocean). Freaks!!!! Now the "workers" have told us they have to prepare for the storm and will be back in a week :58: . Darrel told them they BETTER be back in the morning to fix some of this mess, I guess time will tell.

Maybe this should be moved to the cheese and whine forum :crying:
Hey Vickie, I called my apartment office yesterday, inquiring about whether we could board up and was told that we can tape up the windows, but not board them up; that "if everyone boards up, the fire marshall has told us it will weaken the building." So here we are, in Coral Springs, which is within the area to where hurricane force winds extend, and I can only "tape up." You think I'm paying my rent on time this month? :58: until we know for sure where Frances will make landfall. I'm actually glad that Allstate has agreed to write us a renter's insurance policy; we're getting the binder today!

Scubaguy62:
Hey Vickie, I called my apartment office yesterday, inquiring about whether we could board up and was told that we can tape up the windows, but not board them up; that "if everyone boards up, the fire marshall has told us it will weaken the building." So here we are, in Coral Springs, which is within the area to where hurricane force winds extend, and I can only "tape up." You think I'm paying my rent on time this month? :58: until we know for sure where Frances will make landfall. I'm actually glad that Allstate has agreed to write us a renter's insurance policy; we're getting the binder today!

It is insane what my wife (baitedstorm) wrote. I can't believe they started taring open holes in the outside of our building. I talked to the supervisor of the construction company last night. He told me "we will try to PATCH up the hole". Do you think patching any hole will withstand 140+ winds. I don't think so. BYE BYE HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have a spare floor area to LIVE on for awhile :17:

Well ,my husband lives in melbourne in an RV on the Bannanna River, ,They are planning on lining up the rigs side by side, hoping that they wont be blown over, and all headed into the wind. No time, to move them. He should be somewhere on 192 west tonight leaving the rig, and bringing with him the ins papers. hope the rig makes it, it is my stopping off point for coast dives. and his apt, love him but love him there working.No matter where this goes, someone will be affected. sad.

Scubaguy62:

Ask them to give you that in writing.
And ask for the name of the firemarshall.
If they refuse to give it to you in writing give them a letter that says that you have the right to protect your property and are going to board up, unless they give you a signed letter prohibiting it and accepting all responsibility for damages.

Boarding up makes a building STRONGER not weaker. They are just worried about how things look.

BTW If they actually do give you a name of the fire marshall then contact that person and ask for the information in writing.

Keep making all of the rest of your preparations in any case.

metaldector:
Better check that address, 66604 puts you in Topeka, Kansas

Not many hurricanes there... :wink:

Ah crud! Not again. Was missed last time but right now it doesn't look good.
Good luck to all who will eventually be effected by the final outcome.
Right now snow doesn't look all that bad.

Chuck

SmokeAire:
Ah crud! Not again. Was missed last time but right now it doesn't look good.
Good luck to all who will eventually be effected by the final outcome.
Right now snow doesn't look all that bad.

Chuck
You cant keep dodging the bullet!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom