Looks like Frances is on the way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My landlord is also refusing to let us board up our building. He says he doesn't want any holes in the concrete. LOL! And, this is a building ON THE BEACH!!!! So, I've been packing up a few irreplacable things (dive gear was first) & taking them to my inland storage facility. I'm probably headed to Atlanta tonight or tomorrow for work & the thought of just walking off & leaving everything is really starting to upset me.

I wonder if the urban legend of the scuba diver found in the tree could have actually started here in Florida. :06:

Marvel you bringing the cat over?
Good luck everybody!

Crap. My greatest concern is losing that great apartment on the beach. I've suffered through winter on the beach with no heat, spring's winds & sand everywhere, and now summer with no A/C except in the bedroom... gawd I've loved living there!!!!

So looking at the map I don't see how we can avoid 75-100 mph winds and a lot of rain unless it turns north right now, which doesn't happen. I thought 35 mph was a lot of wind this Spring... it sure dumped a lot of sand inside and when it rained my floors were flooded.

Hopefully the storm shutters on the front will hold back the blast this time and we won't get a surge... the building is on footers, not posts, so the sand could erode quickly leaving the building uninhabitable. I'd probably have to live... ulp... WEST of A1A.

Fortunately most of what I own fits in my jeep! Dive gear comes of course. The pipes and vintage tobacco collection will too, as well as my papers and any clothes that will fit... the furniture, TV, kitchen stuff etc are all on their own...

It's definitely on its way...here's an excerpt of the 11 am advisory

HURRICANE WATCH FOR THE NORTHWEST BAHAMAS...WHICH INCLUDES
THE ABACOS...ANDROS...BERRY ISLANDS...BIMINI...ELEUTHERA...GRAND
BAHAMA AND NEW PROVIDENCE.

Bimini is 58 miles from Ft. Laud.!!!

At any rate, both Angie and I love all you guys, and all we want to stress on everyone is PLEASE, BE SAFE!!!!

May my mother Yemaya, goddess of the sea, spare Mike and Marvel with very little storm surge... look at me going santero on you guys..LOL

All kidding aside, God bless, and let's hope for the best!!!!

Ok, i think this is all one big conspiracy of the media and the shopping centres to make you buy out their entire stock of everything, this is crazy around here. We had a buying frenzy a few days before Charley, then it looked like it wasnt going to hit, so a lull in buying, then back on friday when it turned back at us. I see the same thing happening today and for the rest of this week, its near impossible to find parking at any grocery store and forget the hardware stores. The shelves are pretty much empty again - already!

Marvel:
My landlord is also refusing to let us board up our building. He says he doesn't want any holes in the concrete. LOL! And, this is a building ON THE BEACH!!!! So, I've been packing up a few irreplaceable things (dive gear was first) & taking them to my inland storage facility. I'm probably headed to Atlanta tonight or tomorrow for work & the thought of just walking off & leaving everything is really starting to upset me.
First yes , I would move away from the beach and take everything you can now , I have been activated to head toward Fla tonight, we got 10 big rigs going that way we leaving at 9 pm .
no I wont as usual be able to take my scuba gear darn it , but have a small suit case with few cloths at least this time I am getting more notice.
this isn't going to be as nice as Charlie was several reasons was pointed out to us that should be obvious.
one there will be allot more debris
the ground is all ready water saturated this allowing trees and foundations less hold.
and third people think they can ride it out because they rode Charlie out look out world this storm is allot more bigger and more powerful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evacuations have begun:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=2&u=/ap/hurricane_frances_florida

three day chart now has Frances coming onshore in SE Florida on Saturday afternoon.

there is NOTHING, weather wise, that can weaken this hurricane at this point. this is very important to understand:

"I can't emphasize enough how powerful this is. If there's something out there that's going to weaken it, we haven't seen it."

--National Hurricane Center director Max Mayfield

Frances is packing 120-knot winds, and is pushing a broad
band of storms in front of it, which will reach Florida
early Thursday.

The only thing worse than hurricane preparation is hurricane cleanup.

I've got all my books in plastic bins, wrapped in trash bags on the bed covered with a tarp. The van is 3/4 packed and ready to go in the morning. I still have to put the patio stuff inside and hope that the tide surge doesn't put a sailboat on my patio. If its a big one I'll have 2-3 foot of water in my apt. I hope this is all just a waste of time and effort. Hook north, hook north, hook north

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom