Looks like Frances is on the way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My prayers are with all of you for safety and to have minimal damage. Our trip for Labor Day to WPB for diving on the Rampage is cancelled. Capt. Bob made the call today. I was sweating that out but am so glad he has cancelled. We may make a trip down later as a make up kind of thing, late September or Oct. depending on what this storm does to things there.

It looks bad for Florida though, I heard that Turks & Caicos are taking a beating with winds at 140mph. Not good!.

Be safe.

It's pretty wild around here too; I'll be headed to Boynton to ride it out with my family, though haven't figured out what to do with the cat...crate her and bring her along (to be terrorized by my sister's dog) or leave her here scared to death.
I'm not too worried about my place...concrete including ceilings..it's as safe as it gets...
Best wishes to everyone.

I wrote this a couple years ago after the eye wall of Georges sat on me for 14 hours. This has been posted other places and other times, but seems appropriate here:

-----------------------------------
A tip for those in hurricane country: NEVER throw away a 5-gallon bucket, or it's lid!

For those who have never been though one of these things or others in hurricane or winter storm areas here are a few things we've learned from hard experience after seeing the eye wall of 5 hurricanes, above and beyond what the media will tell you.

Things to add to your emergency supplies:

1. Hurricane lamp WICKS!

2. Citronella oil for the hurricane lamps. Mosquitoes thrive after a ‘cane!

3. Lots of extra Coleman lantern mantles and the adapter to run them off the large 20-lb. bottles if they're the propane type. Spare generators for liquid fueled ones and globes.

4. A spare chain saw bar, at least two spare chains, a backup pull rope assembly, and a spare carb/air cleaner assembly. Electric chain saws are pretty much worthless in an emergency situation!

5. Gloves. Heavy leather ones that fit. The canvas ones won't last long.

6. Steel-toed boots with puncture liners in the soles. Vietnam era jungle boots with punji and mine protection is about the best. A good quality work boot runs a close second. There will be wood with protruding nails _everywhere_ hidden in the debris.

7. Visqueen or other heavy plastic sheeting in roll form.

8. Machete and ax, SHARP!

Steps to do up front:
Several months ahead of storm season.

1. Get pressure treated plywood cut to cover all windows and all but one door (your heaviest). Rig an internal brace to hold that one door shut even if the frame splits.

2. Put hanger bolts in to mount all of these and do a test fit by putting them all up.

3. Paint all these with a good primer and topcoat, and mark each one clearly as to where it goes, and which side is out and up. This marking should be large enough and of sufficient contrast to be legible by moonlight or a single candle.

4. Remember the goal is to be able to completely board up the house in LESS THAN AN HOUR! It takes 5/8" plywood or thicker to stop a 2x4 thrown by 150 MPH winds. If handling equipment is needed to help lift the boards into place mount the pulley hangers NOW! A battery operated drill works great for installing the board fasteners, but keep a couple of spare batteries charged for taking them off later when you're whupped, there is no power, and you have to get the boards off to get light and ventilation in the house after the storm. There are going to be a LOT of things to do in the last 6-12 hours before the storm hits. If it takes more than an hour to board up these other important things will not get done because you'll flat run out of time.

5. Collect 5 to 7 gallon buckets with lids. 10 is a minimum for two people but 20-30 is even better. Clean and nest them, and then store them in a plastic bag. You're not going to have time to be both washing and filling buckets later.

1-3 days before the storm:

1. WASH CLOTHES! You won't be doing any laundry for a while after the storm hits, and a clean change of clothes will do wonders for your morale after working the clean up for a day or so.

2. Dead branches, weak trees, and other garden debris etc should be removed now and burned. Ashes won't hurt you later.

3. Any other prep work you can do now will save you that much more time for the important stuff later.

4. Start packaging dried foods and ammunition in waterproof and impact resistant containers. Pick containers that nest well and can also be used to shore up the weakest wall of your interior shelter. Surplus military ammunition cans work well. I have several 10 gallon open head steel drums that make a very strong crush resistant package, and can be stacked and lashed to form a penetration barrier.

Just before it hits:

1. Bag some clean clothes and bed linen in several layers of plastic bags, as well as about half your towel stock. That way even if you loose a part of your roof you'll have a dry place to sleep and dry clothes to wear later.

2. Fill everything you can with potable water. If you have nothing else wash the tub, dry it, and then tape the drain shut with a good grade of duct tape (drain valves leak and this is the water that may keep you alive) before filling it. Distribute the water you can’t get into your interior shelter about the place so a single tree through the wall won’t destroy the entire amount.

3. Bring weapons, some ammunition, as much food and water as you can, and bedding into your interior shelter. Do NOT bring fuel or batteries other than what is needed for minimal light into this area. The risk of damaging other vital supplies is too great to put that stuff inside your strong room with you. What's in here may be all you have to survive with for a week or so. Do NOT forget the weapons! Wildlife is forced out of the low-lying areas by the water. Wildlife and abandoned pets start to think of people as food after eating bodies for a while. Dog packs are particularly nasty. Defensive weaponry is necessary both for these things and the 2-legged snakes that seem to appear to "share the wealth". Police protection is non-existent right after the storm. Plan on at least 2 weeks of no effective police protection, and 3 weeks of no potable water or power. If the storm is a class 4 or 5 triple that estimate.

4. PRAY!!!!

A tip for those bugging out:

Photograph EVERYTHING left behind! Digitial or video is nice but 35mm works fine since you won't be developing it if you miss out on the main damage track. On high value items and appliances be sure to get photos of model and serial number plates.

These photos will settle the arguments with the insurance company later when you get into the "contents" section of the insurance claim...

FT

I just finished boarding up my windows tonight. We are evacuating the area sometime tomorrow hopefully before I-95 gets backed up. I'll hopefully check in when this thing is past us.

Hey Fred thanks for the pointers. and yes Fred I am going to take the backplate I ordered from you with us.

Stacy's secrets (well, not anymore...)

After doing your last load of clothes, fill the washing machine with cold water and stop the machine. The clothes you removed were clearn and this water may be necessary after the storm. This works since most of us can't afford that $1000 low water usage washer! Every extra few gallons helps.

Remember, you can fill the back of your toilet tank with pool water or flood water to flush if the power and water are out in the house. Do not use your drinking water. HOWEVER; remember you run the risk of the power being out at the lift station (a sewage backup into your house when you can't clean up with electic can be nasty). This worked at the hotel after Opal (but I knew we were leaving). The lift stations should have backup power for 48 hours, but everything must be working between your house and the lift station.

Fill your gas tank in your car before the storm... You may need to evacuate afterwards and the stations may be closed or empty. Also, you can run the car to charge things with the cigarette lighter and sit with the A/C (just not in a closed garage).

Good luck to all...

Well, Intellicast.com still has this storm going right through Brevard County. USAFDiver, looks like you're going to have that new inlet just north of Patrick AFB.

I'm sure glad the new wing commander on Patrick finally made the decision to let us have tomorrow off. We received the information via email at work... after we all left at 3:30. I didn't find out about it until 8:30 tonight. I just got done calling on my workers... Ugh!

Well, the wife and the three Scuba_Kids left for Roanoke VA at 5PM tonight. I'm glad they're gone. I'm sure I-95 is going to be a parking lot tomorrow. I'm bugging out on the 8AM flight out of Melbourne for Lexington KY to see my father. (That was a pre-planned trip) I hate the idea of leaving my house unattended, but... with this storm.. I think it's best.

Al

Good luck to you Kim, hope you fare it well. Drop a line and let us know you are ok.
maria

To any and all of you who might be needing a place to evacuate or to stay for a while, my place is your place here in Houston for as long as you need.

Good luck and my prayers are with you.

maria

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom