Looks like Frances is on the way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like the ocean is already in the parking lot.

No hauling! :D

Sooooooooooooo.. went for a dive in the drain canal by my house.. found 4 air conditioners, 500 tennis balls, 27 tires, 5 lost green cards, 3 pair of dentures, and a car. Of course, I surfaced a mile and half from home and had a long way to walk but hey ;D

Kiddin.. ya'll its been really quiet, except some rain here :D

Why didn't you drive the car back to the house??? :D

My thoughts are with all of you having to deal first hand with Frances.

Please forgive my newbie-ness but, I have a reservation on Blackbeards in Miami tomorrow (sunday) and they keep insisting Frances will pass and no problem we'll be able to leave and their whole attitude is business as ususal/no big deal. Then, I watch CNN and just freak. Is it really possible that this trip will happen?? I've never had to deal with a hurricane but, a good twist would be someone from floriday coming up here in an ice storm or blizzard and driving. Not highly recommended.

Any comments please??

Well... I lost power at 11:00 this morning. I was just getting ready to turn on the oven to cook something from the freezer. Oh well... It'll probably be 5 or 6 days before I see any power again. I did call FPL... The recording said they'd be out as soon as they could. I just laughed and hung up.

Good thing I have my laptop and a phone line. Slow is better than nothing...

Al

22 ft seas at the weather buoy and all our newly imported beach sand is gone. No house damage yet!

tiggrr:
My thoughts are with all of you having to deal first hand with Frances.

Please forgive my newbie-ness but, I have a reservation on Blackbeards in Miami tomorrow (sunday) and they keep insisting Frances will pass and no problem we'll be able to leave and their whole attitude is business as ususal/no big deal. Then, I watch CNN and just freak. Is it really possible that this trip will happen?? I've never had to deal with a hurricane but, a good twist would be someone from floriday coming up here in an ice storm or blizzard and driving. Not highly recommended.

Any comments please??

Tiggrr.. mon, 'dere be no mon goin to sea tomorrow unless dey have wrought iron stomach and sailing skillz of blackbeards ghost! Even I, a native of deze 'ere seas, will not brave da weath-er!

Basically saying don't count on it! :D Here in Ft Myers we are JUST NOW starting to get the outer bands.... a day and a half behind schedule. I just looked at the latest radar..Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....:pirate:.. Not me, I wouldn't bank on it!

Looky Here

fun2chase:
Concrete walls in FL = mold and mildew!

I think I have this mostly correct.

It's not necessarily the concrete walls that are the problem, it's how the rest of the building is designed. There must be a properly installed vapor barrier and there needs to be a slight positive pressure inside the building to drive water vapor to the outside. A building that is negatively pressurized is one where the envelope is so leaky that the major air flow is generally moving from inside to outside through doors and windows and creating a negative pressure inside that tends to allow the water vapor to migrate through the exterior walls to the inside spaces. Such a negatively pressurized building tends to allow the warm water vapor to move through the concrete walls and it then condenses when it meets the cooler air behind the gypsum wall board or the vinyl wall coverings that are installed at the exterior walls. It's all about designing the whole system correctly, which is something some builders either don't know how to do or won't spend the money on.

CMU is a good way to build in Florida but only if it's done the right way.

Ok...I just couldn't resist tossing in some things I have learned in my profession. The building science lecture is now finished and I will return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :bonk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom