Looks like Frances is on the way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right on Knot... btw, check out http://deltechomes.com/ and you'll see what my wife and I want to build but practically have to have a diety sign for because "they are odd homes and don't resell well". Its more about the amount of flat surface that the wind has to hit against vs.pressure.. but thats a whole different discussion about physics. Anyone interested in the video, I'll be happy to share once I copy the tape to digital. :)

So far we're good weather wise.. the eye is 100 miles almost directly from us and all we've had is off and on rain and some wind. I talked to Jenny and she's doing well... other than Netdoc, I have had to leave messages for the other suth'n Conchs I have numbers for... I'm guessing everyone is holdin their own at the moment.

Frances is on the move again, at 5 knots... should be heading for Vero Beach
per the three-day chart

from the National Hurricane Center:

SLOW MOVING FRANCES HAS A LARGE EYE. THEREFORE...THOSE IN THE PATH OF THE CENTER WILL EXPERIENCE THE CALM OF THE EYE FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

IN ADDITION...THIS HURRICANE WILL LIKELY PRODUCE TORRENTIAL RAINS ALONG ITS PATH.

CBulla:
Right on Knot... btw, check out http://deltechomes.com/ and you'll see what my wife and I want to build but practically have to have a diety sign for because "they are odd homes and don't resell well". Its more about the amount of flat surface that the wind has to hit against vs.pressure.. but thats a whole different discussion about physics. Anyone interested in the video, I'll be happy to share once I copy the tape to digital. :)

So far we're good weather wise.. the eye is 100 miles almost directly from us and all we've had is off and on rain and some wind. I talked to Jenny and she's doing well... other than Netdoc, I have had to leave messages for the other suth'n Conchs I have numbers for... I'm guessing everyone is holdin their own at the moment.

CBulla,
Cool houses. I'd buy one.
Nothing better than a circular building when it comes to high winds. Unfortunately, it is a limited market. Too bad.

The highest building in the world at the moment in Kuala Lampur is a round structure. Wind is not the sole reason for it's round shape but it's a definite benefit when it comes to the high winds from typhoons

As far as our hurricane goes, Frances needs to get on with it or just fizzle out. This waiting is getting old.

Well so far there have been a bunch of squalls moving through. I would guess only an inch or two of rain so far and at most 60mph winds in the middle of the squalls.

We think a substation went early on around 3pm, we lost power, but it came back on around 5 - very surprising - thought we were out for the rest of next week again. We shall see how long we retain power - so many trees in this area by the lines. Still havent actually got any real weather yet, its coming though, but thankfully mostly missing us, but we are on the bad side, which isnt good.

An LDS i deal with had a Blackbeards trip going tomorrow, they arent going anymore :wink: Besides the ocean there will be a blender mix settling at the moment!

Another squall coming through, will be in touch by phone if anyone wants to know the whereabouts or status of us in O-town. Take care ya'll

I wonder how long it will be until they open the barrier islands. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to metal detect the beaches from Sebastian to Vero for the 1715 hurricane wrecks coins. All that sand has been covering up a lot of coins. They turn up after a heavy northeaster, this should produce some impressive finds.

DennisS:
I wonder how long it will be until they open the barrier islands. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to metal detect the beaches from Sebastian to Vero for the 1715 hurricane wrecks coins. All that sand has been covering up a lot of coins. They turn up after a heavy northeaster, this should produce some impressive finds.

like underwater metal detectors? how far out do you go? I love findig stuff when i dive. I love any dive where I am focused on a task.

The house idea is way cool. For a few years I was looking at this one though.
NOW, I am SERIOUSLY looking at this one!
http://monolithicdome.com

Wendy:
like underwater metal detectors? how far out do you go? I love findig stuff when i dive. I love any dive where I am focused on a task.
Only beach detecting is permitted. The wrecks went aground during the 1715 hurricane and dumped their contents all over. Anything in the water is under state lease, the folks that are paying for theses leases get a bit upset if they find people detecting their leases. The beaches have produced good finds over the years and if the beach erosion is as bad as they say it is should be producing more in the coming weeks. I have to head south to get home so I plan on making a detour if the barrier islands are open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom