Looking to Buy a Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The prior steps, for the dil, would ensure the loop ppO2 was pulled down below 0.7. So, failing to turn the O2 on means the subsequent steps will tell you that O2 is off - if you are paying attention at all.
yes you are correct -if you failed to do a decent dil flush as per the checklist order and bring the po2 back down and jumped back on you might see .7 and think you've turned on the 02 -in fact you could probably do a pre breath and jump in the water and it might still read .65 but it would be RED (warning ) so a hot drop might pick it up to .7 again and you might think its all ok -once again demonstrating the checklist is in a certain order for a reason

Also, just for the record, with rMS the pre-breathe generally takes 1 - 2 minutes. If you don't have rMS, then the prescribed pre-breathe is 5 minutes. So, with or without rMS, you should catch it if you fail to turn on the O2. Assuming you are putting any effort at all into following the pre-jump checklist.

I did some tests at home - starting at .21 with 02 turned off you've got about 17 breaths and approx 1min 27sec before your light headed (.16) if you miss that your computer is flashing RED for that long and your solenoid is working away and you dont notice it before your temp stick has warmed up then i dont know what else can be done to warn you

if you miss that your computer is flashing RED for that long and your solenoid is working away and you dont notice it before your temp stick has warmed up then i dont know what else can be done to warn you
An audio or vibratory alarm? Considering the severity of the consequences i.e. unconsciousness and probably death.

An audio or vibratory alarm? Considering the severity of the consequences i.e. unconsciousness and probably death.
If you miss those signs would you be alerted by an audio of vibrating alarm? If having a flashing red light right in front of you're eyes is not enough what is?

AJ:
If you miss those signs would you be alerted by an audio of vibrating alarm? If having a flashing red light right in front of you're eyes is not enough what is?
Well looking at a safety critical sector such as the aviation sector, the evidence would tend to show that these alarms types would be enough, as these are the specific alarm types used in aircraft for life critical warnings such as anti-stall. Just maybe something we could learn from.

AJ:

AP has a audible alarm “buzzer” which is really loud underwater

liberty rebreathers have vibration alarms which are apparently really hard to miss

only ones I could think of. But you should never need them if you are monitoring your rebreather like you where instructed in training.

Audible alarm: what if your alarm of your buddies alarm goes off because of false alarm? If that happens two or three times I guarantee you will turn it off. I know nobody who dives with alarm on after a few dives.

Vibrating alarm: wetsuit maybe usable, but diving rebreather means probably longer dive times and therefore drysuit, which means a thick(er) layer between the computer and your skin. It's highly doubtable you will feel it enough to be usefull.

So I agree: they may help, but you should really not need them and certainly should not rely on them. To me it's gadgetry I can do fine without.

AJ:
Vibrating alarm: wetsuit maybe usable, but diving rebreather means probably longer dive times and therefore drysuit, which means a thick(er) layer between the computer and your skin. It's highly doubtable you will feel it enough to be usefull..
Even with thick under in a DS, you really feel the vibrations (talking about Freedom computer and i suppose it is the same for the liberty)

The vibrating alarms on the divesoft are definitely noticeable through a drysuit with thick undergarments. You can choose which alerts you want a vibrating alarm for, which is nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom