Looking to Buy a Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kiss has stopped offering the Sidekick for the time being. That was announced when they recently issued updated price sheets for the Classic, Spirit, and Sidewinder. Their orders right now are overwhelmingly for the Sidewinder with a few Spirits sprinkled in.
Really, I didn't know that. Too bad, the SK is good. Especially this concept of canister in the CL

Narked@90 seems to have the 4-pin availible for purchasing, also with ccr-side kits..

my comment was that you can't buy a 4-pin cable Shearwater unless you buy it from either Revo or KISS. As of a few months ago when we last asked that was still the case. Buying a Fischer computer and sending it off to get a 4-pin is fine if you have to replace the Fischer cable anyway but to do it on a new computer is stupid.
Since @DiveGearExpress doesn't even have them on their website but they do have the new Petrel 3 with Fischer I am going to safely assume that even they can't purchase the 4-pins and not waste @Shearwater s time by calling and getting the same answer again. Will keep using Divesoft until that changes even though I much prefer the Petrel.

I should note that the Fischer does have the singular advantage of having a bulkhead fitting on the Petrel which does make it easier to use for O/C diving without the long cable, but that's it's only redeeming quality.

But what you SAID (that I quoted in my last post) was that Shearwater does not support conversion of older units. And, well, they converted mine....

Also, according to this: Shearwater Research Announces The Release of The Perdix 2 & Petrel 3 Dive Computers - Shearwater Research

"PETREL 3 is available in standalone or rebreather monitoring models, including DiveCAN, 4-pin AK, and Fischer port connections."

I do not know what "4-pin AK" means, but it sounds promising... Maybe you SHOULD try making that call again?

But what you SAID (that I quoted in my last post) was that Shearwater does not support conversion of older units. And, well, they converted mine....

Also, according to this: Shearwater Research Announces The Release of The Perdix 2 & Petrel 3 Dive Computers - Shearwater Research

"PETREL 3 is available in standalone or rebreather monitoring models, including DiveCAN, 4-pin AK, and Fischer port connections."

I do not know what "4-pin AK" means, but it sounds promising... Maybe you SHOULD try making that call again?
they do not support conversion of older rebreathers, that holds true. Converting older computers is one thing, but to take say an old mCCR Megalodon and try to put a 4-pin on it is not currently possible.

4-pin AK is the configuration in question. The NERD and older Petrel was available in that as well but was only available by the ccr manufacturers to purchase, it was not made available to the dealer network.

Shoudn't this fit the older Megs?

yes however if you read the fine print on the computer side it says the "4 pin connector that mates with the Narked at 90 range of AK cables." This is not confirmed to be the same as the Shearwater manufactured 4-pin and I seem to remember when @stuartv was talking about having his converted, it sounds like N90 is actually putting that cable on themselves. That is a far cry from a dealer being able to purchase directly from Shearwater. Sure there are ways to get around it if you put forth a lot of effort and go around your ass to get to your elbow, but it would be nice if you could just go to @DiveGearExpress and buy the appropriate computer from the start or for those that are dealers to be able to buy directly.

Speaking of pricing... I too noticed that by the time you get a desired configuration with KISS, you're out a good chunk. My desired configuration is a unit that is ready to dive which includes NERD2.

I don't want the thread to drift in a different direction but right now EUR is very cheap compared to USD. If pricing is your thing and you're split, go with the vendor that quotes in EUR and enjoy a steep discount.

they do not support conversion of older rebreathers, that holds true. Converting older computers is one thing, but to take say an old mCCR Megalodon and try to put a 4-pin on it is not currently possible.

Isn't that the fault of the CCR manufacturer, not Shearwater?

yes however if you read the fine print on the computer side it says the "4 pin connector that mates with the Narked at 90 range of AK cables." This is not confirmed to be the same as the Shearwater manufactured 4-pin and I seem to remember when @stuartv was talking about having his converted, it sounds like N90 is actually putting that cable on themselves. That is a far cry from a dealer being able to purchase directly from Shearwater. Sure there are ways to get around it if you put forth a lot of effort and go around your ass to get to your elbow, but it would be nice if you could just go to @DiveGearExpress and buy the appropriate computer from the start or for those that are dealers to be able to buy directly.

So, with the latest releases from Shearwater, CAN'T you go directly to DGX to get the appropriate computer from the start? I.e. a Petrel 3 with 4-pin AK.

I don't know anything about N@90 and how they might fit into this puzzle. I have never actually communicated with N@90 at all (that I can remember right now, anyway).

As for providing the correct cable for your CCR, that would mean Shearwater would have to have cables for every different type of O2 sensor connector that are on the market, right? Wouldn't it make more sense for the CCR manufacturers to provide that cable? So you have the right O2 sensor connectors AND the right length cable to work for that CCR?

That said, I'm thinking many people might be able to just buy and use the cable that goes in a rEvo. That's what I put in my rEvo to work with my NERD 2 after I had it converted from Fischer to 4-pin. Probably most would also require splitters, since most don't have more than 3 O2 sensors. Those are also available from rEvo. Cable and splitters for rEvo also happen to be available directly from DGX.

This was the damage for my Spirit. Ordered in April. I got a separate 4 pin Fathom blinky HUD. Kiss has a Petrel 2 set aside for me. If the 4 pin Petrel 3 is available when my unit ships, I’ll get that. Otherwise, Petrel 2.

Total was $8500ish, including sales tax. Fathom HUD was $650.

167C44C0-B69E-4506-9852-3B22D54B6095.jpeg

@stuartv no, you can't go to any dealer and purchase the 4-pin connectors, that was the point I was making. Shearwater has a cheaper, more reliable, and actually fit for purpose connector that they are intentionally holding back from the market for reasons unbeknownst to anyone except them. It makes no sense since anyone can buy a Fischer and anyone can buy a DiveCAN, but only the rebreather manufacturers can purchase the 4-pin analog computers.
The CCR side connectors are almost all the same, and Shearwater does not provide that side of the Fischer cables so we can go to a myriad of sources to get those. The link you gave from Revo would be one of them however it doesn't do you any good if you can't get the computer in the first place.

@Marie13 the Petrel 3 is worth the wait. MAJOR safety improvements with the haptic feedback, hold out for that option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom