Looking to buy a compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckDiver1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey guys.
I'm looking to buy my own compressor. It doesn't really need to be anything fancy, all I need it to do for now is fill some tanks with air. In the future, I'd like to be able to set it up for nitrox and trimix. I'd like something low cost as well. Any ideas?

Are you sure you want to go down that road ?
I have a compressor and am happy I do, but it sure can cost you alot.
I have a small airtex compressor that cost me about $2,800.00 to start, then add in all the little things and I am up into the $8,000.00 range.

If you can't get air close to where you live a compressor is important. Its alot cheaper to buy more tanks and get them all filled.

Jim breslin

Hey guys.
I'm looking to buy my own compressor.~ I'd like something low cost as well. Any ideas?
Fleabay! I got a nice 10cfm compressor that way.

Hey guys.
I'm looking to buy my own compressor. It doesn't really need to be anything fancy, all I need it to do for now is fill some tanks with air. In the future, I'd like to be able to set it up for nitrox and trimix. I'd like something low cost as well. Any ideas?

Be careful that you don't pay too little or in the end you may pay too much.
May I suggest that you team up with a few of your buddies and buy it together, then charge yourselves a buck for each fill then use the money to maintain your baby and if there is left over money at the end of the year use it to help out with a dive trip or something. Thats what my buddies and I have been doing for over 20 years, still using the same compressor and we do alot of diving.
I would also suggest that if you do this then don't buy a 2 or 3 cfm compressor, it will take far too long to charge everyones bottles.:coffee:

I'm looking to buy my own compressor.

Welcome to the club!

Remember a few things:

1. No one ever buys a compressor to save money. It's all about convenience. So don't try to save money.

2. Come up with a budget for a compressor. Then plan to end up spending twice that.

3. Enjoy it!

Zodiacdiverdave has good point about a small compressor. However, a small 3-4 cfm compressor will run you about $3K and a 6 cfm compressor about twice that. I have a small compressor and it takes about 20 minutes to fill an AL80 to 3,000 psi. If you have lots of time and you don't have a lot of cylinders to fill, it's not bad. You can take a couple of hours to fill several cylinders the night before the dive. You can also bank the air for quick or late night fills when you can't run the compressor. But when start adding all of this stuff that $3K figure quickly balloons to $6K or $8K or even $10K.

Tommy,
I have sold over 60 units in the last 3 years, mainly to divers that want the convenience of filling their own tanks and mixing nitrox.
I build compressor systems with Military kidde and Noah Howden compressors. They have all new components, except the rebuilt compressor. New commercial filters, moisture traps, pressure relief valves , back pressure valves,and complete filling whips for up to 5000PSI.
The 6 CFM unit is $3975 plus shipping
Look at my web site <sheldensportinggoods.com> for smaller units and components. IF you want names of individuals who have purchased my compressors, I can do that, but all you need to do is look around on scubaboard for those who have them and their comments
Jim Shelden
316-992-0505

I heard many bad stories from purchases on internet. Some shops use all the worn out parts and mix it to a compressor which they sold as "private". Repairing it is more expensive than buying a new one.
(Not a personal experience...Only I got warned about that myself)

Excuse me, I have an excellent record on scubaboard and probably 25 divers and scuba shop that have my compressors and no service issues.
I have been selling compressors for over 40 years and have the best service and warranty in the industry. Any of my customers want to respond??
Jim Shelden

I can speak for Jim...not that he needs me to. I think if you look around on here or join the Yahoo Compressor Group you would find many that think very highly of him.

I have not bought a compressor from him but I have bought parts from him and he has always treated me fair. Even if I wasn't buying a part from him he has still taken the time to help me.

If your statement was only meant to imply that you heard some others do that on the internet...well that may be true but not with Jim.

Bill

Excuse me, I have an excellent record on scubaboard and probably 25 divers and scuba shop that have my compressors and no service issues.
I have been selling compressors for over 40 years and have the best service and warranty in the industry. Any of my customers want to respond??
Jim Shelden

With bad second hand compressors I didn't mean you! I know a few specific cases from Ebay in Germany and proud postings in a other board about selling the complete wrack at excellent prices on ebay.
If it makes the impression that my posting is an answer to your posting, I want to apologize, I didn't mean that. These facts just jumped in my mind and I didn't thing that it can read as respond to your posting.
In fact I read before from satisfied customer from you.....

Sorry for being misleading.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom