Looking to buy a compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My compressor was $2,100 off of ebay and we wound up getting a bunch more stuff for smokin' deals when picking the compressor up. W have less than $3,600 into it and bank 32% @ 4,500psi.

That is about 360 fills at $10 each (Actual consumable cost per fill is around $2.50-$3.00 a fill). The compressor has already paid for itself! Let alone the fact that no around here banks 32%, and an air fill is $7.00. The right compressor makes sense in many ways. The wrong one is going to cost $$$. Dive shops going out of business are probably the best bet. That is how I got mine. Anything less than a small sized industrial compressor that can produce 4,500 psi is only going to be good for filling AL80's.

I heard many bad stories from purchases on internet. Some shops use all the worn out parts and mix it to a compressor which they sold as "private". Repairing it is more expensive than buying a new one.
(Not a personal experience...Only I got warned about that myself)
h90 you do have a point. If you plan on buying a compressor or any other machine for that matter off e-bay or any other internet outfit you will have to take the sellers word for it that the unit is good. Buyer beware.:crafty:
ZDD

h90 you do have a point. If you plan on buying a compressor or any other machine for that matter off e-bay or any other internet outfit you will have to take the sellers word for it that the unit is good. Buyer beware.:crafty:
ZDD

I read a proud posting about a MCH6 in Germany. It had every month a problem. As it was a Dive Center they might had run it around the clock, which it is not made for.
They were very proud of being so smart to sell it private on ebay for almost the price of a new one.
Most probably one of these sales "selling a two year old compressor, I used it only 5 times than I got the problems with my ears and stopped diving. It is used but almost new, blablabla"
While most seller might be honest, everyone might have bad luck and in Europe the prices of second hand ebay things are often more expensive than new one if you find a cheap dealer.

h90 Thank you. I have helped many individuals that don't purchase anything from me and really try to make every compressor I sell very reliable.
Jim Shelden
316-992-0505

Frogman,
I am new to filling tanks and looking for a gas or diesel powered portable. After reading some information I have learned that a 3.0 or 3.5 cfm is most likely to small for me to work with and refill 3 - 4 tanks in a reasonable amount of time. What would you recommend. I am in the Philippines so if I need parts fast that will never happen. Are your units new or refurb? Anything laying around that you want to throw out? Thanks Pj

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom