Looking for the right Cozumel resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish-R-Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My wife and I are trying to set up a trip to Coz from June 22 through the 30th. We normally stay at the Cozumel Palace, but this time we are going with another couple and their son. They want to get their open water cert on this trip. What I am looking for is an all inclusive resort that has a good dive shop that would be able to do the classes for these three on sight. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Scuba Club Cozumel... great great great Dive instructors there, and a great shore dive area to do first 2 dives.

it is nothing like the Palace.... it is a DIVE resort, no tv, or fancy rooms or infinity pool. All activities there revolve around diving. Check out my trip reports on my website for more info.

robin

I'm a plus 1 for Scuba Club. it's my favorite place to go. Chockey's geat fun to dive with, but not an instructor. I really miss the coconut icecream.

Blue Angel Resort is now ALMOST an AI, if you are diving with them, both breakfast and lunch are included in the hotel/dive package. And depending on how many days you dive with them, they will also throw in a free dinner into the mix.

Matt (Mateo) Moran is an excellent instructor, I would highly recommend him.

I would also consider Iberostar and their on-site op - Dressel divers. Stayed and dove with them for a week in January.

Iberostar is a neat resort and a good AI. No complaints or reservations whatsoever. Going back in January and will be diving again with Dressel.

Dressel is a well-organized and professional outfit. Nice size pool for learning, proximity to dive sites typically 10-15 mins. Spacious and clean boats with groups split into beginner and more experienced divers. Max 8 divers per instructor/leader. This is a marine park rule so the cattleboat moniker doesn't apply.

Free nitrox for enriched air certified divers. And if you prepay with their main office in Spain, the discount can be substantial - we did 18 plus 2 night dives over 6 days for a very nice price.

Best.

Blue Angel Resort is now ALMOST an AI, if you are diving with them, both breakfast and lunch are included in the hotel/dive package. And depending on how many days you dive with them, they will also throw in a free dinner into the mix.

Matt (Mateo) Moran is an excellent instructor, I would highly recommend him.

That sounds like a winner there.....close enough to town to go in to eat nightly, great hotel and dive op and lots of shore dive potential.

I think you have old information there, unless breakfast/lunch was included/stopped/and now included again. They used to offer lunch and dinner free with diving, but not for my next trip (end of May), anyway. We get breakfast on dive days, but lunches and dinners are not included in the package price.

I'm liking the Occidental Grand for the most part. Stay at the Royal Club for more Cozumel Palace-like amenities. Food isn't as good as the Palace, but I've heard Dive Palancar is a heck of a lot better than Aqua Safari and I'm sure they have no problem certifying people since I saw a few doing such off the beach.

These replies have answered several questions I've been thinking about posting. I'm trying to decide between Iberostar/Dressel and Blue Angel. When I do a list of pros and cons to each, it comes out almost equal. BA-free internet, shore dives, close to town, breakfast provided. Iberostar/Dressel-free nitrox, no shore dives, expensive internet, AI with good food.

Somebody help me decide.

Back
Top Bottom