looking for the name of a very simple rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clindt

Registered
Reaction score
I remember seeing quite a few years ago on tv a rebreather that I think was popular in asia. It was a very simple unit and only allowed you to dive down to about 10-20 feet. It consisted of a CO2 scrubber that was worn on your lower back attached to a belt. It had 2 hoses leading up to the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece held 2 small 02 cylinders that looked about the size of a CO2 cartridge for an air gun.

Does anyone have any idea what this is or what it is called? Have you ever heard of such a thing or did I just dream this up? Thanks for the help.

No, that is not it, but thanks for the link.

I know 20' is not much, but I think they were designed as an alternative to snorkeling.

The max depth is 20 feet because its 100% O2....sheesh! Simpler technology just to scrub all the CO2 and add pure O2 -- I guess.

Craig

That could have been it. Thanks for the help.

does anyone have any experience with that unit? It seems like a fairly inexpensive way to get into rebreathers.

That is the Japanese Fieno made by Grand Bleu. It was pretty much discontinued just as it was introduced. You had to send the unit back to the factory to change the scrubber. It uses a 40% nitrox mix.

If you want a nice small unit, get an AP Evolution.

clindt once bubbled...
I remember seeing quite a few years ago on tv a rebreather that I think was popular in asia. It was a very simple unit and only allowed you to dive down to about 10-20 feet. It consisted of a CO2 scrubber that was worn on your lower back attached to a belt. It had 2 hoses leading up to the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece held 2 small 02 cylinders that looked about the size of a CO2 cartridge for an air gun.
This might be it:
http://wolf.feynsinn.de/tauchen/japan/ohba.html

Sometimes also called 'Ouba'..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom