Looking for suggestions on proper wetsuit/exposure protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You never tried a semi dry-suit firt ? I fear that the day I'll be too cold in 72 in a semi dry-suit, it'll be terribly cold to dive in the lake in winter ! (4°C)

No, I didn't. I read enough threads here on SB about "semi-dry" suits to persuade me that they are a poor compromise between wetsuits and drysuits, and the better solution was to step up to a real drysuit. A drysuit gives you real flexibility by allowing you to dive a fairly wide range of temperatures simply by selecting suitable undergarments.

No, I didn't. I read enough threads here on SB about "semi-dry" suits to persuade me that they are a poor compromise between wetsuits and drysuits, and the better solution was to step up to a real drysuit. A drysuit gives you real flexibility by allowing you to dive a fairly wide range of temperatures simply by selecting suitable undergarments.

No doubt. My drysuit is good from 37F (the lowest I've actually dived) to 80F, in the same suit. And it weighs about what my 3/2mm full wetsuit weighs. I really wish I had not wasted my money buying a 7mm wetsuit.

No doubt. My drysuit is good from 37F (the lowest I've actually dived) to 80F, in the same suit. And it weighs about what my 3/2mm full wetsuit weighs. I really wish I had not wasted my money buying a 7mm wetsuit.

I like my 7mm because it's simple compared to maintaining and diving a dry suit, and is good down into the low 50s water temp for long dives, and low 40s for up to 30 - 40 min.. I'm not going to go the semi-dry route for longer cold-water dives, though; the next step will be full dry.

I like my 7mm because it's simple compared to maintaining and diving a dry suit, and is good down into the low 50s water temp for long dives, and low 40s for up to 30 - 40 min.. I'm not going to go the semi-dry route for longer cold-water dives, though; the next step will be full dry.

I'll agree with that. If I didn't have a need for a drysuit, then I wouldn't spend the money for one. But, IF you anticipate that you're going to need one anyway - well, in my case, I did need a drysuit, so in that case, I wish I had not spent the money for a 7mm. I've dived in low 50s (water) with a 7mm, hood, and full set of Lavacore underneath. It was okay. But, a good-fitting drysuit is a lot nicer in the water and a lot nicer when I get out.

We have seen lots of folks go for VESTS as an add on if the water gets down around 78 F. We thought that looked like a good idea, but we have never tried it. I would think you would not have to add very much weight at all to compensate for the vest, and it would make for a FLEXIBLE solution\?

I just got back from a Florida springs trip where the water is 71-72 year around. We dove for 3 days. I had great luck with a 3mm suit with a 3/5mm hooded vest. Never had an issue with cold/shivers. My wife who is more cold blooded than I was comfortable with a 5mm suit and a 2mm hooded vest. Both combinations worked very well for that temp. I understand everyone is different but I would recommend your 3mm with something like a 3/5mm hooded vest. The Henderson line which I believe someone mentioned earlier in the post is a great choice. 3/5mm. That is the one that I own is very comfortable and warm. Having your head covered makes a huge difference and the additional 3mm on your core will make a big difference.

Good luck!

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom