Looking for opinions on this Cressi package deal (BCD, regulator, octo, gauge)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novasquid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone. The wife and I recently spent two weeks in Hawaii where we did our first open water dives on Oahu, Maui and BI. And now we're hooked. We rented all the gear at the time (except the snorkel sets we bought for the certification classes). Now I'm looking to buy the rest of our gear.

I'm still a noob doing a lot of reading and researching, but here is a list of gear I plan to buy. I did a search for the Cressi MC5 regulator on this board but couldn't find too many opinions on it, except a recall back in 2009. Any thoughts? There's a package deal where all of the items below can be had for $710 versus $973 individually. I thought that was a pretty damn good deal. I also plan to purchase a Hollis DG03, but that's not part of the package deal.

CSBOE.JPG
Cressi Ellipse Octopus
$119.95

CSBTL.jpg
Cressi Travelight BCD 2013
$425.95

CSBREB5.jpg
Cressi Ellipse Black MC5 Regulator
$299.95

CSB2GC.JPG
Cressi Mini 2 Gauge Console (Imperial)
$126.95

Cressi are not renown for their regulators or service network. I personally would look at other brands, such as Aqualung or Scubapro. You could probably get an Aqualung Titan package for a similar if not cheaper pricce and the Titan is a great reg. Don't rush into a purchase have a look around this board on other brands, reviews etc. Good luck.

I'm still a noob doing a lot of reading and researching, but here is a list of gear I plan to buy. I did a search for the Cressi MC5 regulator on this board but couldn't find too many opinions on it, except a recall back in 2009. Any thoughts? There's a package deal where all of the items below can be had for $710 versus $973 individually. I thought that was a pretty damn good deal.
The challenge in responding to a post like this is the potential difference in perspective. Your question arises from the perspective of a new diver, excited by the sport and looking for gear that will allow them to get started diving with their own gear. The package will readily meet those needs. The regulator recall is not something that should influence your decision. The price is not outrageous, either. You are getting a reg and BCD and a two-gauge console for less than $800. That is not that bad. So, one thought is: go for it. You will have some gear that allows you to continue to develop as a diver.

Other responses (and mine is actually one of those) arise from an entirely different perspective - a diver with perhaps a bit more experience, who has arrived at certain gear configuration choices based on that experience, AND certain personal preferences that have evolved over time. From THAT perspective, I wouldn't buy the package. If it was given to me, I would sell it on eBay, and buy what I want with the proceeds. Here is the background reasoning that encourages that thought:

1. The BCD in the package is a jacket unit. I prefer a back-inflate. Either style works, I just prefer one (back-inflate) over the other (jacket) based on experience with both. (I have both so I am not commenting simply from lack of experience.)

The BCD has extra padding for comfort {'The soft back pack is padded for comfort' . . . ). From my perspective, that is both unnecessary and counter-productive. Padding is useless underwater. It also means that the BCD is inherently positively buoyant, which means I have to wear more weight than I otherwise need, just to compensate for that unnecessary buoyancy. Give me a neutral or negative unit any day.

The BCD is weight-integrated. I do not care for WI BCDs, and won't use them. That 'thought' doesn't arise from lack of experience. I own a WI BCD (Zeagle Ranger). The weights are positioned (just as with the Travel Light) too far forward for optimal trim. A newer diver probably won't notice that. I do.

The BCD is marketed as ideal for airplane travel. It probably works reasonably well for that. But, I can pack either a Zeagle Express Tech, or even my BP/Wing (both are back-inflate), just as easily. I travel with scuba gear, A LOT. I have no problem with packing my gear.

2. The reg is OK. I prefer identical second stages for both my primary and my alternate.

I can't tell if the reg is environmentally sealed or not. If it is, good, If it isn't I wouldn't waste time with it.

I don't use a console. I prefer a simple SPG clipped off the my left side, a compass on my wrist and a computer (which provides depth AND time) on my other wrist.

So, my thoughts:

1. Buy the package if you like it. It isn't necessarily a bad deal. I never buy packages, because they don't provide what I want. I don't recommend them, for the same reasons. But, if you want to spend the money on a package, this one isn't all that bad.

2. If you continue with diving and become more intimately involved with developing buoyancy and trim skills (which, I believe, EVERY serious diver should do), and with diving in a variety of environments (fresh and salt, cold and warm) you will find the gear in the package to be limited, and you will ultimately replace it.

Is that a LeisurePro package? They're a Cressi dealer so your local dealer can also do any warranty work if needed. I assume from your username that you're near D.C. so finding a nearby dealer shouldn't be a problem.

I agree with the above poster - I know a lot of divers who've switched from a jacket BC to back inflate. I know one who switched back.

I think every package compromises somewhere. For this one I'd guess it's probably the jacket. Not that it doesn't work, but that jacket also sells for $299 regularly. So there's most of your savings.

One thing you might do since you seem to be traveling to dive is consider places you plan to dive and at least take a look at the mfr's dealer network in those areas. Cressi is historically strong in Europe and weaker in the South Pacific/Far East. Aqualung or ScubaPro seem to be more prevalent in those areas. All the mfr's websites have interactive maps showing their dealers/repair centers for a given area - might be worth a look.

Last edited:
Cressi are not renown for their regulators or service network. I personally would look at other brands, such as Aqualung or Scubapro. You could probably get an Aqualung Titan package for a similar if not cheaper pricce and the Titan is a great reg. Don't rush into a purchase have a look around this board on other brands, reviews etc. Good luck.

I would totally agree. If you are going to be an occasional diver, the Aqua Lung Titan package is a great package. If you are going to dive every day or at least more than twice a week, You can not invest enough into good quality equipment. Aqua Lungs legend Regs are Awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One thing you might do since you seem to be traveling to dive is consider places you plan to dive and at least take a look at the mfr's dealer network in those areas. Cressi is historically strong in Europe and weaker in the South Pacific/Far East. Aqualung or ScubaPro seem to be more prevalent in those areas. All the mfr's websites have interactive maps showing their dealers/repair centers for a given area - might be worth a look.

I read your post before your edit, and agree that it was hard to find an authorized Cressi dealer while in HI. The ones I called in Oahu were no longer active, the ones in Maui didn't have any Cressi gear in stock and carried "only bicycles and snorkeling gear," and I couldn't find one in BI at all. I happened to find a Cressi Travelight in a BI dive shop by accident, but following Cressi's dealer list on their website was fairly useless in HI.

Thanks for all the feedback!

If you're strictly a warm water travel diver, it's a great setup and I know a lot of people who use Cressi gear for that purpose. The BCD packs down incredibly small and is really lightweight (good for planes).

If you plan on doing other types of diving, consider spending more on great regs now instead of buying another set later.

I did a little more shopping for better regulators and came up with this "package." Total is $995.20. Any thoughts???

SCPOR195.jpg

SKU: SCPOR195
Scuba Pro R195 Octopus, Yellow » more info

CSBTLN.jpg

SKU: CSBTLN
Cressi Travellight BCD 2013 » more info

SCPM25G26.jpg

SKU: SCPM25G26
Scuba Pro MK25/G260 Regulator » more info

CSB3GC.JPG
SKU: CSB3GC
Cressi Mini 3 Gauge Console (Imperial) » more info

Something I recently learned is if you are going to buy some of this online, like at Amazon. Sign up for Amazon price tracker, Amazon price history charts, price watches, and price drop alerts. | camelcamelcamel.com and link it to your amazon account. Add an item to your amazon wish list and ccc will notify you of price changes on Amazon. That cressi octo goes on sale every night and every weekend for $90. I also got a Cressi Eclipse Titanium with a MC9 first stage for less than the one you are looking at by doing this (I think I paid around $250). I can't speak on terms of cost of service or parts since I bought them this year. I will say that my cressi 2nd stage breathes better than the rental my LDS was trying to sell me (Titan something). I did have to replace the mouth piece in the cressi since it was really small, but that only set me back $10 and a 2 minute install.

Also, if you are wanting to purchase from LP, they also sell on Amazon and you can sometimes get a better deal from them through Amazon (better return policy). I won't buy anything direct from LP anymore. And make sure there isn't some unknown jewish holiday coming because they close shop and won't process orders or ship until business resumes, while the rest of the internet is still taking and processing orders.

Nice regs. Like Colliam7 I have both a Zeagle Express Tech and a BP/W, and I wear an SPG clipped to the left waist D-ring and a wrist computer. I did this not because I knew what I was doing but because I looked at and listened to (including on here) divers who did know what they were doing, and while opinions are far from universal, this seems to be close to what people who know do. The Express Tech is a very nice, minimalist BCD, although Zeagle has been sold and I believe no longer sells the bare-bones Express Tech, only the gussied up Deluxe version with clips and pads and whatnot that's better stripped off (must not have been enough profit margin on the simple Express Tech); you can still find them though (I got mine for $160 delivered on e-bay for a never-been-wet, tags still on one). Of course, if all you've ever been in is a jacket, you won't know the difference (and most of the world dives jacket BCs).

I see no problem at all with jumping in with gear purchases; I think diving with your own gear that your familiar with is much better than diving with whatever's available that day in the shop's rental fleet. Do the best you can to get stuff that isn't complete junk (and most stuff on the market today does what it's supposed to do; most of the bells-and-whistles are add-on marketing to increase the margins), recognizing that as your diving improves and you learn what you like and don't like much of what you buy today will end up in the garage or on e-bay selling for a quarter what you paid for it as you replace it with stuff you like better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom