Looking for Oahu Dive Operator recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dove with Aqua Zone ... and they were a good operation. They take lots of beginners, but they will come by the hotel and pick you up in their van, and return you at the end of the dive. ALSO they were very accomidating to my schedule, and desire for specific dive sites. They have two stores on the strip, one was right in the hotel where I was staying at the Marriott.

I've used Oahu Scuba Divers (Justleesa on this board), as well, and highly recommend them.

Wildcard:
All the shops pick up, or most anyway.

Only if they remember the hotel or to write down the booking on the correct day! My first dive trip to Oahu I went with three dive companies. Two out of three didn't pick me up because they wrote my name down on Tuesday instead of Thursday or they didn't write down my specific hotel. (Ohana, figure that one out. Of course, I gave them the exact name)

I'm not going to bad mouth the shops because since moving here, I have learned more about the diving community and we all need to support each other. So, on that dive trip, AAA Diving was excellent for me and my needs. Alex was always early to pick me up.

As Catherine says, she wouldn't send a mormon family on his boat, she is certainly correct. His sense of humor is funny but for only some people. I'd worked with many people from the UK and understand where he was coming from but it wasn't for everyone.

if you have a rental car you can check out www.shorediving.com/earth/hawaii/oahu/index.htm its a good site with great info, then you can dive on your own schedule and see the sights at the same time. Read the reviews of the sites if you have questions or feel free to pm me and i will give you the info. I have hit most of them in some form or other.

Dive Oahu will pick you up at your hotel, drop you off when you're done with the dive. They run a custom catamaran that runs on bio-diesel with a wide beam that rides better than most boats. They have snacks and refreshments on the boat. They specialize in small groups (not the typical cattle car some charters run) You can also use their dive gear if you left something at home (top of the line Scuba pro with computers). You'll save a few bucks if you make reservations via the website. They can also provide nitrox if you're interested.

www.diveoahu.com

Here is a tip...FWIW. Call the night before and confirm. (I do that wherever we go, cause I want to sleep till the last minute and I am usually bugging them to be picked up last, he he) On a Waikiki rush-hour am route, you could be gaining almost an hour of sleep, plus you are "confirming". I never go to an appointment without calling because usually I am the one that messed up the dates or the time.

I would ask about the boats, if you care. If you are being farmed out on another operator's boat, that is useful information. It is not always bad, but for me it tells a lot about how much control they have over where that charter will go. You are in a group of two and get booked on a boat where another operator has ten? Guess what? The boat is going where they want to go. (if you care)
On the other hand, lets say you have booked with a boat owner...take Diamond Head Divers, for example. If you are diving with him for the week and have requested a site, he most likely made a note of it and feels more responsibility to your dive agenda than for the guy another operator has booked where he is only getting about 30 dollars for the the boat seat.

Another important question to ask: Is the boat on a timeline? Is the boat hustling back for the second charter? at what time? Some charters are rushed, others are not.

I prefer different operators for different reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom