Looking for first regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justincase

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help needed ...

I've been doing alot of research and have a couple that I'm interested in but need some advice..

I'm a new diver and I'd like to buy a regulator that i can use as my skills and as the requirements change ( hopefully I can find a regulator tat can do it all). I will list the things that i will eventually be getting into..

1. obviously SW and FW diving
2. wreck diving & cave diving
3. some cold water around mid 40's to mid 50's ...local places

Sorry if this is a newbie question but need some experts advice. so the regulators that I'm looking at are.

Atomic M1 or Z2X
Aqualung Legend Supreme
Oceanic EOS
Scubapro A700

All of the above sound like good choices. Make sure you take into account whether you have an LDS that can service your regs. If at all possible find some dive buddies that use the above regs and try them out, you could also see whether your LDS would let you try out regs in pool. Everyone has their own personal preference, personally, I like Zeagles. At the end of the day, it comes down to what you like and are comfortable with.

The Atomic M1 is pretty nice and will grow with you. There has been some good right up about the M1. Atomic is pretty popular in the NY area, it is cold water all year and dry suite diving. Some friends have them, and they breath great at depth.

I like oceanic regs, the Delta 4 is a great reg and was dethrone by the EOS as oceanic's new top of the line reg. The EOS just came out last year, it is a newer design. But the first stage is a proved system from the Delta 4. This is a balanced diaphragm, so it is a bit more compact then the M1's balanced piston.

From the list you have, these would be my top 2 picks. So it may come down to which one will be easier for you to service if you bring it to your LDS. But if you plan to send it out to get service then it is a moot point. Since price is not an issue with these two as the are only a couple of dollars different, it may come down to style or features. Diaphragm or piston, both system are reliable, and are proven. But either way, they are both excellent choices. I think you will be happy with either one.

The Atomic M1 is pretty nice and will grow with you. There has been some good right up about the M1. Atomic is pretty popular in the NY area, it is cold water all year and dry suite diving. Some friends have them, and they breath great at depth.

I'd go for the Atomic also. It has a 2 year service interval, is rated for extremely cold water and you'll never outgrow it. I have three Atomics and a SCUBAPro Mk25/G250 and while they're all really nice, the Atomics are my favorite.

Terry

I'd recommend Oceanic CDX-5 for the first stage...just because that's what I've been using and I know it works great. It comes environmentally sealed.
I'm a bit partial to diaphragm regulators because of the type of diving I do, in cold, murky waters most of the time. Piston regs are great, no doubt, but can be a pain in the a** to seal environmentally--you have to fill the ambient chamber with Christolube and that can get messy and adds to the service cost of the regulator (Sherwood is the exception).
Other than that, you can't go wrong with any environmentally sealed Zeagle regulator. In fact, you probably won't be disappointed with any environmentally sealed diaphragm regulator, granted it's a brand that you or your LDS can get parts for and can service.
There is a lot of hype out there regarding regulators, most of it simply smoke and mirrors to justify charging you an arm and a leg. The truth is, you will have a hard time differentiating between regulators' breathing performance in the water. However, what you will find clearly apparent between regulators is the price, cost and ease of service. Make sure you consider the last two especially if you're going to have your LDS service the reg.

Some added info.

With my personal experience with oceanic, I found the customer support to be without a doubt one of the best out there, they took care of an issue with my VT3 in no time at all. Shipping form NYC to Cali and back with in a week before a dive trip of mine.

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been diving a Sherwood Oasis, now on my my second one, since when I first started diving in the mid 80's. My son now dives my reconstructed initial version, and I've been diving my "new" one for the past ten years or so. My wife (about twenty years behind me in diving) also dives an Oasis. Never had a problem with them, love the little bit of moisture it adds to the air charge.

Thank you all for the info and I'm leaning towards Atomic but still not certain on anything. i like the idea of the lifetime warranty.How well is an Atomic Z2X in cold water? what would be its limitations ...

straight out of Atomic manual:

WARNING
COLD WATER USE
For diving in extreme cold waters below 50°F (10°C), we recommend
having the first stage sealed with the installation of the optional antifreeze
kit (standard in T2 & M1). This is a rubber sleeve that fits over
the ambient chamber ports of the first stage to prevent icing of the
first stage. This is a factory or dealer installed item, as it requires some
special tools and disassembly of the first stage for filling of the chamber
with a special low temperature lubricant [Christo lube].

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom