looking for fin recommendations for snorkelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phenz

New
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post. I'm a fairly avid snorkeller, not really into scuba that much, but I love to snorkel. The last trip I made to the red sea, I bought a pair of full foot fins and by the end of 2 weeks they'd actually managed to split around the toe. I was thinking of getting some adjustable fins to wear with coral boots, but as I only go snorkelling every 2 years of so, I don't want to spend too much money, just wondered if anyone had any suggestions on good fins to buy for snkorkeling, and a good online shop to get them from? Haven't ordered diving equipment online before and don't have any experience with any sellers or any brands. Just really looking to get pointed in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phenz.

Hi,

This is my first post. I'm a fairly avid snorkeller, not really into scuba that much, but I love to snorkel. The last trip I made to the red sea, I bought a pair of full foot fins and by the end of 2 weeks they'd actually managed to split around the toe. I was thinking of getting some adjustable fins to wear with coral boots, but as I only go snorkelling every 2 years of so, I don't want to spend too much money, just wondered if anyone had any suggestions on good fins to buy for snkorkeling, and a good online shop to get them from? Haven't ordered diving equipment online before and don't have any experience with any sellers or any brands. Just really looking to get pointed in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phenz.

You might get thirty different answers to your question. Most of the answers will simply describe why the poster's own gear is the best in the world because it matches the poster's own expectations, not anybody else's. So my advice is to forget about brands and models, focusing instead on equipment that fits and suits you.

I've snorkelled for over half a century. Although I'm also UK based I once snorkelled at La Jolla Cove in Southern California, one of the world's best snorkelling venues, and I observed how the snorkellers there were shod with every kind of fin imaginable: open-heel rubber bodyboarding fins with fixed straps, open-heel scuba fins with adjustable straps and plastic blades, open-heel Force Fins, closed-heel all-rubber swim training fins with standard blades and closed-heel freediving fins with extended blades. The only common factor was that everybody was having a wonderful time with their personal choice of fins.

When choosing fins, start by finding a pair that fits. If your first fins tore at the toe opening, the foot pockets were probably too short to accommodate your entire foot. Fin foot pockets don't just fit length-wise - if you're a size 10, then a pair labelled "size 10-12" may be your size - but also width-wise and in terms of arch height. Perfectly fitting fins are a joy, but you have to look hard - at your local diving, swimming or sporting goods store or the online equivalent - to locate a pair that matches your foot dimensions, not anybody else's. Fins that are too tight may cause cramping, while those that are too loose may raise blisters or fall off in choppy waters. A snug fit is what you are looking for. Closed-heel fins are more comfortable than open-heel ones, particularly if you are planning to wear fins barefoot. If you intend to wear fin socks or booties, you will need to factor in the extra bulk when sizing your fins. As for fin blades, you need to be aware that fins aren't worn for speed but for power, manoeuvrability and endurance in the water. Stiff-bladed fins will afford more thrust but will tire you out more quickly. Avoid fins with blades that are too floppy. I would also recommend traditional before gimmicky designs.

Get a pair of freediving fins- I find mine (Beuchat brand) to kick ass. Big to travel with though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom