Looking for begining Tech buddy in Denver area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweaver40

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi I am posting this here because it probably has a better shot at reaching it's intended audience here then anywhere else on the board. I am looking for somebody who wants to start tech or is already in tech and doesn't mind being a buddy with a complete tech newbie who has not yet passed GUE tech fundamentals and still has a long way to go before he is competent enough to pass. My intent to form a team with one or two others who would like to train a fair amount. I have been practicing solo (not a DIR or GUE approved activity) out at Chatfield during the week. I am starting to go with a local shop once a month for a weekend of local diving and dive training.To go with that shop you would need GUE training and or get permission from the tech instructor. If you are wanting to start tech I am more than willing to work with you and point you in the direction I took. Tech is a long process that is closely tied to building a team so there would be lots of time to catch up to the early stage I am at.

I would also like to start doing some domestic trips possibly as road trips like CA. Florida wrecks would also be very interesting.

Anyway I am late bloomer starting tech after 50 so an older diver is probably ideal but I would be happy to find anyone who is willing to buddy up with me at this early stage and work toward an initial tech cert and then on to more advanced certifications.

Send me a PM if your interested.
Thanks

Hi, there!

If you have been talking GUE in the Denver area, I assume you must be working with Flatirons Scuba. If there is anyone else doing GUE fundamentals in the state, I don't know about it. That shop does not do GUE beyond fundamentals, though, so if you want to continue with them, it will be NAUI Tech.

If you are not set on GUE, there are other options for you. For DIR, there used to be a UTD-affiliated shop in Boulder, but that relationship is over. Still, there are a lot of people who trained through their version of DIR around still. A lot of them just like to practice, and I can put you in touch with them. We had a great time diving at Turquoise Lake last weekend, for example.

If you are not set on DIR training, you have more options. There is a group centered in Fort Collins that is more in the TDI/IANTD mold. I can get you into a relationship with them as well.

Finally, you really don't need to have a dive buddy at your beginning level. With the relative dearth of good tech options in the area, many tech trained divers are looking for any opportunity to practice, because tech really does require regular practice. A tech diver who is pretty well along the spectrum of skill will often be happy to dive with a beginning tech diver. An opportunity to Mentor such a diver is usually welcome, as is the chance to just get in the water and mess around.

Posting in here is a good start. I am sure you will get more assistance. My own PM will follow.

Back
Top Bottom