Looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to Cozumel and enjoy!

I'd bet that plenty of folks around this forum did a good chunk of their early diving in Coz. You'll get used to drift diving (and like it) more quickly than you might think.

I'm heading there this coming Sunday with 2 recently certified divers (one has 2 ocean dives in Roatan, the other one just got his card). Planning 4 days of two-tank morning diving and one night dive with Dive With Martin.
I anticipate that we'll begin the week doing some of the easier sites and, depending on how they do in the DM's eyes, progress slowly as the week goes by.

Don't be afraid to ask plenty of questions about dive sites, dive profiles/plans, and conditions. Don't feel like you need to dive any sites beyond your training or comfort level just to impress or satisfy your fiance or anyone else. If you have any doubts about whether or not you're ready to handle the dive being proposed, say so.

If you are aware of the risks, have read and thought about how to address the challenges that could occur, and have worked out proper communication and buddy tactics with your fiance, you should be fine. The novice divers who are really at risk due to Coz's variable conditions are those who drop into the water completely unaware and unprepared for the conditions. The fact that you are asking the questions tells me that you are aware of the potential challenges, now you just need to work out how you will react and how you will plan dives and communicate with your buddy to address anything that arises while diving.

I thank everyone for their input. I plan on communicating my inexperience in diving with all my DM's like I did in Punta Cana. I do not want to become a stat of Cozumel. I am a firefighter so I understand the need to sticking to my training. What all is there to do on the island?? We usually stay at all-inclusives but after reading the forums that is not the way to go in Cozumel. My fiance is experienced but mostly with recovery diving for the fire department. What are the rates for a personal DM?? Also, this is going to open the flood gates, resort recommendations.

What are the rates for a personal DM?? Also, this is going to open the flood gates, resort recommendations.

Private DM rate? Email some dive ops. My WAG is circa $50 USD a day but could be wrong.

Hotels? What do you want? Here is a map of hotels:

Cozumel hotel directory

Not to worry! My wife and I got certified in OW last year. We are headed to Coz in 7 days to obtain our Advanced Open Water, as well as dive get a few extra dives in.

We have no plans of getting below 100 ft, I know I will not feel comfortable doing deep dives. We are going to take our time and stay on the shallower dives and enjoy what Coz has to offer for novice divers. I am looking at it this way, I will be a Certified Advanced Open Water Diver. BIG DEAL! I still am not an experienced diver.

I plan on learning as I dive. I plan on taking it slow, and easy. There is too much to see in and experience underwater on the reefs to worry about trying to cling to a wall and not get sucked into the abyss.

It's an excellent idea for newbie divers to hire a private DM for the first 2 tank trip, helping to learn how to drift dive, boat exit, etc. - safely. I didn't think it was challenging my first time, but some do - and it will vary a lot with diver's experiences and local conditions.

Good to have a sausage each even if you are not ready for sending it up on a reel yet, a storm whistle each, mirror, dive light even for day dives. Cameras get newbies in trouble, but then they do me too. :blush:

Just checked my logbook, we did our 26th thru 33rd dives in Cozumel in March 08, don't know how we would have handled the down currents experienced earlier in the year. My biggest problem was doing the safety stop in the water column, I was used to doing safety stops on an anchor line or on shore dives just following the slope of the shoreline. In the water column I had to constantly watch my depth gauge and control my depth with my breathing. We,ve only just finished our 100th dives last Sept but some of the best advice we got for being new divers and divng currents was to add a couple more pounds of weight.

Our favorites things to do beside diving on Cozumel are going into town in the evenings to eat. Christy had a sticky on this but I don't see it now, you can also read trip reports to find new favorites. And I couldn't ever imagine going to Cozumel and not spending the last day renting a Coz Cadillac and driving the loop around to the East side maybe stop at some of the resorts on the South side to check out their beaches but definitely stopping and spending time at each of the 3 or 4 beachbars on the east side.

COD... "Come On Down!"
The water is great the beers are cold! A private DM is the best and will give you the extra safety you'll need. But I'll just about bet that by the time you get to your 2nd tank day you'll be hooked and comfortable. How do I know??? Easy I live here and dive here. So COD and get wet!

Back
Top Bottom