Looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chutton47

Registered
Reaction score
I am a new diver with about less than 25 dives. Less than 10 of them have been ocean dives. I just recently got certified in March. My fiance and I are looking to plan our next trip for either later this year or next year. She is an experienced diver. I would like to go to Cozumel due to the price and great diving. However I am worried that I am not experienced enough to deal with some of the things that Cozumel can offer (Ie Currents, depths, etc). Is Cozumel a good option for someone like me? If not where would you recommend??

You've done ocean dives? Run...don't walk, to the plane that'll get you to Coz!

The only way to learn to dive currents is to dive currents and then you will love drift diving!

No need to be afraid. You are wise to ask questions. That shows that you respect "possible" issues in an area that may be beyond your current comfort zone.

If your sweetie cannot guide you through the learning process for Cozumel style diving, hire a private divemaster for a day. Tell that person that you want to learn how to safely dive in Cozumel. Whether two dives is enough is something that you can evaluate with the divemaster.

When I got certified about 6 yrs ago, I went straight from my local lake to Cozumel for most of my ocean dive experiences for many years before trying out new destinations. I just kept the diving shallow until I got comfortable with diving, and stayed stuck to my DM for many dives, lol. I went a couple years before I would try a wall dive in Coz. The drift diving is some of the easiest diving for me compared to other places. We always dive with Papa Hogs, who have small boats so are group always had alot of flexibility on choosing the dive sites. I still enjoy the 60-80 ft dives over the deeper stuff .

You've done ocean dives? Run...don't walk, to the plane that'll get you to Coz!

I could not agree more.
You could join the Scubaboard Cozumel Invasion you won't find a better deal and we group divers according to their experience. Private DM's are available but each group of 8 divers have a DM in the water with them on every dive. Biggest issue about Cozumel is " It will spoil you " Drift diving is the bomb!!!

I too agree run to the plane and go. I would do as Ron said and hire a DM for the first dives at least even though your other half is experienced. I finished my certification in Coz, drift diving is awesome once you learn to stop fighting it and a private DM will be able to give you some pointers along the way.

I spent a week in Playa del Carmen in Feb - my first time diving in Mexico, though I did spend a day snorkeling in Cozumel while on a cruise. The thing I was most surprised by is how strong the current is; once you learn to relax and "go with the flow" you'll have a blast.
The marine life there is amazing - barracudas, bull sharks, morays, turtles, and of course lionfish, lots and lots of lionfish! Our DM was spearing all that he could find, but there were a lot that got away.
Have fun, get wet often and relax!
KL

There is experienced (more dives than you) and experienced (divemaster/instructor/plenty of Cozumel dives).

Unless your sweetie is the latter, consider the private DM for a day.

Yes! You should go to Cozumel!! Lots and lots of choices regarding hotels, (location, price, beach diving?), and Dive ops (Big boats, small boats, price). All of this depends on what you want from your vacation! Do you know what your expectations are? I did my open water certification on Villa Blanca Beach, and the day I finished I went on an afternoon dive and my first night dive. I am lucky because my dive buddy was my twin sister who already had over 200 dives and learned in California (an overall more challenging environment IMO), and she definitely helped speed up my learning curve! I have also had, overall, great experiences with the local divemasters! I think that if you are very honest with your dive op and divemasters (and the divers on your boat) regarding your abilities and experience, and let them know that you are open to suggestions; they are happy to help you improve your skills! If you have any other issues (like ears are hard to equalize, or foot sometimes cramps, or worried about sharks for example); you should let your DM know! There are plenty of dive sites that are well within your abilities, I am sure, and the more you dive while there, the more your skills will improve if that is what you want. Also, it is possible to hire your own DM for the first couple of dives if you would feel more comfortable having some undivided attention at first! Definitely, Go for it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom