Looking for Advice on Scooter Design

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in_cavediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, I have lucked into some parts and plan to build a scooter out of them.

I have lucked into a set of 24V 1800rpm brushless DC moters with Vantac Drivers. (Freebies) I don't have them yet to completely confirm the specs but this is what I was told.

I have access to a full machine shop so I can make any parts if need be. I look to make this like a Gavin or SS in overall design.

My big questions are:

1) What type of prop do you recommend? Why? Source?

2) What type of clutch do you recommend for the prop? (mechanical design)

3) What operating point(s) would yield good results. (I can provide torque or speed control readily) I know the tekna's operate in the 800 rpm range and the Gavins/SS are in the 1200rpm range but I don't know the thrust/Torque specs.

I am looking for responses from those with practical expierence with scooters. I can come up lots of solutions to these issues, I just would like to speed up the learning curve if possible.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Well I don't have any scooter experience, that said I do know you can order a prop that is adjustable, such as the pitch of the blades. That way you could experiement with the pulling power vs. speed and find the best setting. Anyway, any size prop you could want can be gotten in a fully adjustable model. I would just do a search to come up with the company. I bought one through a boat dealer a few years ago I think it was less than 200 bucks. I am sure you could get one online and save a few dollars.

Back
Top Bottom