Looking for advice for my first backplate and wing purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have opinions on a VDH 18 or 23 or 35 versus a DGX S1 30?

As mentioned, it's primarily going to be tropical warm water diving with a 3mm wetsuit on while on vacation. .

Any one of them would work. 35 would be overkill for topical diving IMO. I have the older DGX, which is a 25. In 3mm single tank, it's still way more than is needed. Could easily use an 18 and still have enough lift. .

When my head is out of water, about 10% of the wing is out of water as well, so I lose about 2lb of left. My 1st stage is out of water that is another 2lb or so.

Why is your rig so high on your back? Does it ride up when you are floating at the surface, or do you actually dive it that way?

This is me, with my VDH35 wing. I am at depth but vertical, looking up at sea lions that were swimming all around us.

My rig would have to ride up on me a LOT before the 1st stage or valve, much less part of the wing, were out of the water, just to have my head out of the water.

VDHinWater.jpg

Since giving up DSS17, I got a HOG23 for vacation, At home cold water (drysuit 400g thinsulate), I used Oxycheq40 , then converge to a Halcyon Eclipse 30 for both vacation and home.
If you still have the HOG 23, Oxycheq 40 and the Halcyon Eclipse 30, or any combination of them, please post a picture of them inflated next to each other in this thread: Requesting some wing pics for comparison purposes

Also, does the Eclipse 30 have cam band slots? Do you have the get the Traveler Pro 30 instead? The Halcyon website is very bad at this kind of details, and this is what Extreme Exposure shows since they seem to update their webstore more often than Halcyon does its website.
Extreme Exposure - Halcyon Eclipse Single Tank Wing
Extreme Exposure - Halcyon Traveler Pro Single Tank Wing

I don't have HOG23 or Oxycheq40 anymore. I do have picture of Oxycheq40 vs Eclipse 30, but not inflated. If you will take my words for it, the difference between these are un-noticeably in water in term of size. All of these wings are well designed IMO. The final reason for me to stay with Eclipse wing has nothing to do with performance, but all logistics:

- Oxycheq40 is very tough and very stiff, very difficult to pack for travel. That was the reason I got smaller wing for travel
- And I don't dive enough in tropics to justify keeping a smaller wing, and I actually started diving dry even in tropics. So I can't take a too small wing
- Eclipse 30 become a good one wing does it all for my usage. Large enough 40ish degree water, still streamline, and very packageable for travel.

My Eclipse are the old style before H came out with travel wing, so no cam slot. I use a STA

Why is your rig so high on your back? Does it ride up when you are floating at the surface, or do you actually dive it that way?

This is me, with my VDH35 wing. I am at depth but vertical, looking up at sea lions that were swimming all around us.

My rig would have to ride up on me a LOT before the 1st stage or valve, much less part of the wing, were out of the water, just to have my head out of the water.

View attachment 523817

There are a few difference I can see from your picture.
1. You back plate seem to be setting much lower than mine. The waist strap coming off from back plate is around your hip bond. In my case, it is above my hip. I think I am shorter than you as well, so the top edge of my plate is probably a bit higher granted I have a short plate.
2. You tank is sitting slower than mine. If I look up as much as possible, my head will just touch the first stage. It is the highest my neck still feel comfortable. I choose to do that because I can easily operate the valve.

Wing difference as my memory serves. VDH is actually cut very similar to Oxycheq. The top arc of the wing is very small. DSS 17 is different. It is a very narrow wing but it isn't as short as the lift suggest, and the top arc stick out quite a bit beyond the backplate top edge. Anyway, I feel less than comfortable about how much my head is above water.

In terms of diving, DSS17 is good. But so as Eclipse 30 and Oxycheq40. Consin and I did LOB once together with DSS17 and Oxycheq40. We did swap wings at random. To me, beside looking cooler (DSS almost invisible ), there isn't much difference I can notice. Oxycheq40 still very streamline, still vent easily.

There are a few difference I can see from your picture.
1. You back plate seem to be setting much lower than mine. The waist strap coming off from back plate is around your hip bond. In my case, it is above my hip. I think I am shorter than you as well, so the top edge of my plate is probably a bit higher granted I have a short plate.
2. You tank is sitting slower than mine. If I look up as much as possible, my head will just touch the first stage. It is the highest my neck still feel comfortable. I choose to do that because I can easily operate the valve.

Wing difference as my memory serves. VDH is actually cut very similar to Oxycheq. The top arc of the wing is very small. DSS 17 is different. It is a very narrow wing but it isn't as short as the lift suggest, and the top arc stick out quite a bit beyond the backplate top edge. Anyway, I feel less than comfortable about how much my head is above water.

In terms of diving, DSS17 is good. But so as Eclipse 30 and Oxycheq40. Consin and I did LOB once together with DSS17 and Oxycheq40. We did swap wings at random. To me, beside looking cooler (DSS almost invisible ), there isn't much difference I can notice. Oxycheq40 still very streamline, still vent easily.

My BP is way too low in that picture. I didn't realize how out of position it was until I saw that video (from what I frame-grabbed that picture). I have since changed that rig around to the BP is higher. The waist belt goes down and around me, instead of just straight around me as in that picture.

But, the position of the BP doesn't change how I position the tank. And yes, that was my point about the tank. It does sound like you run yours much higher. If that's the only way you can comfortably reach the valve, then I guess it is what it is. :)

The size of an 18, 23, or 32 lb wing is not enough to worry about. The new HOG 32lb wings have a bungee that does not restrict the wing when inflating and unless filled up, are smaller than the 23 when there is not a lot of air in the wing.
Any of the wings will work. However, I have made a mission of minimizing risk when diving and part of that is being able to assist another diver. Tobin from Deep Sea Supply and I used to argue about this when it came to wing size.

So the question becomes, what would be the minimum wing size I'd want to have if I had to support another diver on the surface? For me, that is the 30-35 lb lift wing. I've had a 23 and used it for a time. Then I had to assist another diver who was overweighted. Not one of my students. The 23 had me kicking pretty hard to stay up until we could get some lead off of him. The 32 would have required much less effort. I sold the 23 right after that.

Another argument I hear for smaller wings is drag in the water. This is one of the dumber arguments. It's SCUBA, not formula one racing.

And a properly designed wing like the HOG 32 will not trap air as is also cited as a reason to use a smaller wing. I wrote an 11-page article on BPW's that includes weighting options, adjustment tips, and accessories that one can add. I send that out free to anyone who provides an email address via private message. It also has photos.

The size of an 18, 23, or 32 lb wing is not enough to worry about.
If you have all the HOG single tank wings on hand, it would be great if you could take a picture of them inflated side by side and post in this thread: Requesting some wing pics for comparison purposes

I have a photo of my HOG 23 in there with some others, and it would be great to see how the bigger HOG wings relate to it.

Thanks!

I don't have a 23 on hand. In the 7 years I've been a dealer I've sold three. So I don't keep one around because I can get one in 3 days. My 32's are at the shop.

Does someone who works for VDH visit these boards regularly? I'm looking to find out when they will have the 35's back in stock. I tried contacting them via their website a few days ago and no response.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom