Looking for advice for my first backplate and wing purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So overall what would be better for ballast, theoretically?

6lb SS plate with 2x1lb trim weights
2lb AL plate with 2x3lb trim weights

or in another scenario...

6lb SS plate with 0 trim weights
2lb AL plate with 2x2lb trim weights

All things equal, would this make any difference? Or does it also 100% depend on the diver so there is no general answer?

Depends on the diver.

As ballast, AL+lead vs SS doesn't matter.
As trim, 2x1lb. weights at your hip vs. at your shoulder make a significant impact on (fixing) trim.

You *could* add 2 lb lead to a SS plate, even if the SS plate left you neutral. 2 lb. over is not a bad thing, even an ok thing as a slight fudge against totally empty tank or high breathing rate.

If the SS plate left you likely negative already..., not so good adding more to that to fix your trim.
If you want a steel (negative) tank instead of an AL 80 (positive), the SS plate gets less handy.

When I was referring to the trim weights, I meant if you added them somewhere like the cambands.

Sorry I'm still learning the terminology. I am just assuming that weights on the waist would be ditchable weight as that's the only kind I've used around my waist thus far.

Ah. On locations, hip could be non-ditchable or ditchable on the harness waist, or a ditchable weight belt. Whether you call them ditchable or trim is not too important. But 6 lb. is certainly a good bit to play with trim wise and can have some effect in the separation between the tank bands. I like some ditchable, so if that is my belt, then that part of my belt weight is not available to move to some non-ditchable spot as trim, for me. But if you do not care about ditchable, then a weight belt is just another spot to move weights between for trim.

I tend not to put my trim weights on tank straps as it increases my tendency to roll belly up. Sort of like putting weights on the bottom portion of the fore or aft masts to adjust a sailboats fore and aft trim. Not the most idea trim wise, as it messes with ship/diver roll. Convenient as a spot that all divers have, but not the most optimal. So I think more about my front or side hips, chest, and shoulders, or fixed to the plate.

I'd lean toward 1 lb. weights for trim. 2x3lb. gives you just 6 down, even, or 6 up. 6x 1lb. gives you 6-0, 4-2, 2-4, 6-0, and even things like 5-1, 3-3, 1-5 as you do not have to move them in pairs.

What a dive op might have on the boat may vary. 1's seem rare, even 2's. But at least you will know that you ideally need.

What a dive op might have on the boat may vary. 1's seem rare, even 2's. But at least you will know that you ideally need.

1s are definitely rare. I usually take 2 x 1# weights with me on trips, just so, if I only need 2#, I don't have to put on 4#. Probably being too much the Princess and the Pea with that, but what the heck, it's only an extra 2# in my carry-on bag...

I have never seen 1lb weight myself onna boat. Even in dive shop, I hardly see them ever.

But let's be realistic and practical. You don't need to be 100% perfectly balanced. If you need 2lb, just put one piece of 2lb on you belt. Even if on one side, it is smaller enough it won't make any difference at all. Too many examples, think single tank side mount divers, single tank back mount with canister light on right hip or more advanced diver with 2 stage bottles on left side only .... 2lb of imbalance between left and right is nothing to worry about

Anyone have opinions on a VDH 18 or 23 or 35 versus a DGX S1 30? I've been having a good discussion via PM with @stuartv (and have learned A TON) but was just curious to also hear other thoughts on it.

As mentioned, it's primarily going to be tropical warm water diving with a 3mm wetsuit on while on vacation. There's a chance I could do some local diving in MD but only during the summer months when the water would be (I think) 5mm tolerable at max. I don't see myself doing any drysuit stuff or anything, at least not any time soon or at all.

Anyone have opinions on a VDH 18 or 23 or 35 versus a DGX S1 30? I've been having a good discussion via PM with @stuartv (and have learned A TON) but was just curious to also hear other thoughts on it.

As mentioned, it's primarily going to be tropical warm water diving with a 3mm wetsuit on while on vacation. There's a chance I could do some local diving in MD but only during the summer months when the water would be (I think) 5mm tolerable at max. I don't see myself doing any drysuit stuff or anything, at least not any time soon or at all.
The VDH 18 is amazing and what I would get for warm water diving, no question. It has replaced my 7yr old DSS Torus 17 which was also a dream for warm water diving, but impossible to repair once it failed.

If you think you will ever dive cold water with steel tanks, then I would get the VDH 35 or DGX 30. These wings will not be quite as small and wonderful as the VDH 18, but if you have never dived an 18/17 wing in warm water, you will not care. :wink: I would not get the VDH 23 since it could be a bit too little wing for thick neoprene/drysuit + steel tanks.

If your heart is set on something in the 23 lbs lift range, I can sell you a DSS Torus 26 that has never been in the water for a fantastic price...

No I am not dead set on a 23 or anything, just trying to hear varying opinions.

The only wing I've ever used is an X-Tek in a pool for like 10 minutes, which was a 30lb wing.

Again, this is a highly personal preference thing. Myself, 17/18lb wing never works for me too well. I used to have a DSS17lb wing. Now permanently loan to a cousin in HK. He loves it. But it doesn't work for me for the following reason:

Diving AL80 in tropics, the gas it self is 6lb. Even with just trunks on, I need 6lb of lift from the wing to be neutral when fully submerge. I have 12lb left to float my head out of water. When my head is out of water, about 10% of the wing is out of water as well, so I lose about 2lb of left. My 1st stage is out of water that is another 2lb or so. I have at most 8lb left for my head, but in reality, I think it is even smaller because tank valve and some tank is also out of water. I am too low in water for my comfort.

Since giving up DSS17, I got a HOG23 for vacation, At home cold water (drysuit 400g thinsulate), I used Oxycheq40 , then converge to a Halcyon Eclipse 30 for both vacation and home.

Back
Top Bottom