Looking for advice for my first backplate and wing purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember, everybody that starts out with a backplate has the shoulder straps adjusted way too tight. they should be adjusted loose and sloppy enough that you can get your fist under the straps and rotate it while standing.
The waist and crotch straps should be tight.

Michael

Remember, everybody that starts out with a backplate has the shoulder straps adjusted way too tight. they should be adjusted loose and sloppy enough that you can get your fist under the straps and rotate it while standing.
The waist and crotch straps should be tight.

Michael

I don't know how 'proper' my bp/w is, but I had a lot of trouble adjusting the shoulder straps and then readjusting them, and feeling my tank wiggle on my shoulders drives me mad. I ended up sewing a short loop of webbing through both bottom sides of the plate and put a D ring on them both. Ran the shoulder webbing through those D rings and attached the waist clip and waist D rings as per usual. When the waist is tightened, it tightens the shoulders as well and keeps everything secure, and the waist D rings keep the shoulder webbing from slipping completely out. Then a one inch thick crotch strap with some buckles to make adjustments easier if necessary. Again, not sure how proper it is but it's worked well so far and it's helped me avoid having to constantly readjust the webbing.

I know some other folks on SB have made other alterations to their BP/W set-ups, so if OP is worried about fit, there are a ton of different styles and possible alterations that just take a bit of time and maybe a few sketches. They're very forgiving and customizable.

Honestly, If you think you’re going to do any cold water diving at all, I’d start with a 30-35 pound wing. It’s enough lift for basically any single tank diving, and they aren’t so big to be a problem if you’re diving in warm water locations. If you end up doing a bunch of warm weather traveling, in the future you can add an 18 pound wing to your inventory.

I started with the 23 pound VDH wing and it’s really nice! But now I’m going to do some cold water diving with an 8 mm semidry and steel tanks, and while I can probably get away with using it, I’m planning to buy another wing (leaning towards the DGE wing because they have free international shipping) and wish I woulda just bough the 35 pound VDH when I had the chance.

the vdh has a thicker/heavier shell and bladder which should make it a bit more durable long term. the dgx has a pull dump elbow which is a pro to some and a con to others.

With regard to the shell thickness, are you talking about the "new" DGX wing? Or the old one that was identical to the Dive Rite Travel EXP wing?

I was diving with a friend all last week who was using the new DGX wing. I have 2 of the VDH wings (18 and 35). I didn't notice any difference in the shell thickness, but I freely admit that I did not really try to assess the DGX wing in that regard. And, I did not have my VDH wings there at the time, either. I looked at the DGX wing and it seemed nice and of good quality, to me. Plus, the DGX return policy means you really can't go wrong with it. If it's weak and tears up in 2 years, you can return it for full credit of the original purchase price.

As for the pull dump elbow, if you order a DGX wing, my friend requested a plain elbow instead and they swapped it out at no extra charge. That is what I would do if I ordered the DGX wing. Having the elbow (pull dump or plain) pull off the wing is very unlikely, but the potential results are so ugly that I just would not want a setup that encouraged me to be pulling on that corrugated hose. A buddy and I went to dive in NC back in December. On the very first dive, he jumped in and went to begin his descent by pulling on the butt dump valve of the wing on his CCR. The whole dump valve came off in his hand. The threaded part of the flange on the wing had broken right off. That is the same kind of threaded flange that is on the wing where the elbow attaches. I really try not to pull on that elbow - except during a pre-dive check....

@purbeast - if you are using 6# of weight in the pool, with an integrated BCD, then I would go for the SS plate. I'm assuming that you meant that you have 6# when in shorts (no wetsuit) and in fresh water. If that is correct, and you are preparing for salt water in a 3mm, it sounds to me like even with a SS plate, you might still need a couple of pounds of weight (presuming you're diving an AL80 or AL100).

On the question of what wing and size, I have put my money where my mouth is. For warm water, tropical diving, I got the VDH 18. I would only buy the 23 if my intent was to have one compromise wing that would cover all my diving and I was NOT going to do any real cold water diving. Once you throw cold water into the plan, you'd probably need a wing with more lift than 23. In which case, the DGX 30 or the VDH 35 would be a fine choice, I think.

If you're only going to dive warm water, or if you are going to buy a bigger wing at some point anyway, then, to me, the VDH 18 is a great choice. But, as someone else already pointed out, if you get the DGX or the VDH 35, it will certainly do everything you currently foresee. You would never NEED to buy another wing (for single tank, anyway). Though the 35 is more lift than you need for warm water, it is still a very compact and nicely streamlined wing. As is the DGX.

Bottom line: I would get EITHER the VDH 35 or DGX wing, OR the VDH 18. I wouldn't bother with the 23. The 23 seems like a bit of a pointless compromise, to me. If you're going to use a larger-than-necessary wing, may as well get one of the bigger ones to cover all possible future bases. Those bigger ones are still very nice to dive. OR, get the one that is ideal for your current plans (the 18) and wait to buy a bigger wing later, if/when you need it. You can't really go wrong either way.

@stuartv the 6lbs of weight I used was in warn water in Grand Cayman and the Keys, with a jacket BCD and a 3mm wetsuit. When I was in the pool recently testing stuff out, the Hydros Pro was the only non-BP/W setup I tried, and I believe I put 4lbs in it (2 plates on each side). I was in shorts and rashguard that's it.

I think I am just unsure about the lift in the wing that I get because when I tested out this BP/W setup I initially thought I wasn't even able to stay afloat when fully inflated (and it was the X-Tek which is 30lb lift) however after research and talking to the shop that let me test it, I think that it may have just been the wing riding up because I didn't have the crotch strap tight enough.

@purbeast Okay. Still. 6# with a jacket, 3mm, and salt water still suggests that a SS plate (with 3mm and salt water) would not leave you overweighted. At least, not by any significant amount at all.

There were other comments regarding using a lighter plate so that you could still use some lead. The lead would, one, give you an option to have some ditchable weight. And, two, give you an option to position the lead to help with your trim.

My thoughts are that in that setup, you don't need any ditchable weight. With an AL100, weighted properly (as I think you'd be), even with a 3mm wetsuit, you'd be a max of 10# or so negative at the start of a dive, at your max depth. I suspect you could swim that up with no trouble. So, no need for ditchable weight. With an AL80, you'd be even less negative.

Also, with the setup you're talking about, a good quality BP/W rig, you should be able to achieve good horizontal trim without needing trim weights. You MAY find that you end up wanting different fins (said not knowing what fins you currently use). If your legs are heavy and want to sink, you may end up wanting fins that are neutral or even a little positive. But, personally, I'd rather get the right fins than carry lead whose only purpose is correcting my trim. That said, most likely you can get good trim just by adjusting the position of the tank, wing, and BP to find a setup that works for you.

if you're strictly diving 3mm suit then aluminum plate and small wing are better for travel and will meet your needs. if you may occasionally or in the future be diving thicker suits for colder water then the steel plate and bigger wing is a good option.

I know you want to try the STA but a 23 lbs wing or a 30ish with built in stability (my hog 32 lbs wing for example) does not need it. that way you wont add the extra 2lbs and move your center of gravity away from you. proper tank positioning will fix the hitting head problem.

and for weighting reference most jacket bc's are about a lbs bouyant.

Realistically I am not concerned about ditchable weight. If I was using like 12-14 lbs then that would be one thing, but 6lbs is really nothing, and I'm in good physical shape so I'm not really concerned about needing it to be ditchable.

Man so 2 responses from 2 experienced divers giving 2 opposite opinions!

Hah basically it seems like the only true way for me to know will be to try one setup and see how it works out. Plates aren't that expensive either and seem desirable, so if I got one and it didn't work, realistically I could get some money back for it and buy the other one.

But which one to get first is the question...

Man so 2 responses from 2 experienced divers giving 2 opposite opinions!

Which opinions are you referring to?

If you are talking about me and @Bowers, I will simply note that Bowers said an AL plate would be better for travel. He did not say it would be better for diving. I believe his statement means that it's lighter, so it's better for carrying in your luggage.

When you get there and go diving with an AL80, well, if it's ME, I'd rather have the SS plate so I don't have to add lead (or extra lead).

I always put my BP/W in my carry-on bag, so the weight of the plate doesn't matter to my checked luggage. And, so far, nobody has ever weighed my carry-on bag. And if they did, I don't know if it would be a problem. It has the SS plate in it, but overall the bag is not that big and the SS plate is the only really heavy thing in it, so I don't know that my carry-on would be "over weight" even if somebody did want to weigh it.

Yeah I am not concerned about weight for travel purposes. I plan on putting everything but my fins in a carryon bag. I have been traveling recently with a carryon that had everything in it that I own so far other than fins, which includes my wetsuit rolled up, booties, snorkel, and mask. Then I also have a bookbag with all of my electronics and my computer is in there. I do also plan to get a newer/larger carryon bag that is either specifically designed for dive gear travel, OR just a little bigger than my current one. My current one is on it's last leg anyways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom