Looking for a duffel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive_turkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking for a duffel bag that I can use to keep my gear in for short road trip diving (up to 5 hours). Needs to keep water IN so as not to soak through my buddies car.

Need to fit my XL Hollis F1's, Zeagle Ranger, and accessories. Dry suit has it's own bag, but if it will fit in there too, that'd be great!

Anyone have experience with the Northface Base Camp, Patagonia Black Hole, or Wolfman Expedition in large? I'm curious if they'll (A) Hold water in without getting ruined, (B) Dry quickly, and (C) hold everything.

I have an old Wolfman Expedition dry bag I used to use on my motorcycle to keep water out, but it's a medium and my gear won't fit in it. I'm not sure if the Large Wolfman will either?

Mares makes a duffel (Cruise Backpack Dry I think?) I saw at the local shop here in Kaiserslautern that I could pick up for 100 euro, but it seemed a little thin and I'm worried about it's ruggedness when traveling.

Why not something like this??

That's what I have now. Great for the car, but a PITA walking to and from the water. Plus, they take up a lot of room in the car, so on trips longer than a day, or with more than two people, we start to run out of room real quick.

That's what I have now. Great for the car, but a PITA walking to and from the water. Plus, they take up a lot of room in the car, so on trips longer than a day, or with more than two people, we start to run out of room real quick.

My wife uses one of these from LL Bean. Not expensive and many sizes. Hers is XL. Adventure Duffle: Luggage | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

My wife uses one of these from LL Bean. Not expensive and many sizes. Hers is XL. Adventure Duffle: Luggage | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Here's our bag rolled up, it will fit easily in your travel bag to use at the destination. IMG_1261.jpgIMG_1262.jpg

Attachments

• MV-SPREE.jpg
    MV-SPREE.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 361
I'm looking for a duffel bag that I can use to keep my gear in for short road trip diving (up to 5 hours). Needs to keep water IN so as not to soak through my buddies car.

Need to fit my XL Hollis F1's, Zeagle Ranger, and accessories. Dry suit has it's own bag, but if it will fit in there too, that'd be great!

Anyone have experience with the Northface Base Camp, Patagonia Black Hole, or Wolfman Expedition in large? I'm curious if they'll (A) Hold water in without getting ruined, (B) Dry quickly, and (C) hold everything.

I have an old Wolfman Expedition dry bag I used to use on my motorcycle to keep water out, but it's a medium and my gear won't fit in it. I'm not sure if the Large Wolfman will either?

Mares makes a duffel (Cruise Backpack Dry I think?) I saw at the local shop here in Kaiserslautern that I could pick up for 100 euro, but it seemed a little thin and I'm worried about it's ruggedness when traveling.

I would just put your regular gear bag in a big trash bag. They're about as inexpensive as you can get and they'll fit anywhere. Put your mesh bag in the trash bag and nothing will poke through the trash bag. TA-DAA simple and inexpensive.

I've used Seattle Sports drybags. Usually used to keep water out while rafting, they will keep water in as well. These days a plastic bin works just fine and I can use it to rinse my gear in before heading out.

5 hours damp and sealed in a drybag. Better not pee in your wetsuit.

TFN's base camp duffel in L or XL. Ideally an older version with the environmentally unfriendly rubberized treatment on the nylon canvas, as the newer ones are neither as waterproof nor as damage resistant as the old rubbery ones. Ebay usually has some up for sale, look carefully to see if it's shiny older rubber or the matte newer vinylish coating.

They hold water in very well, but not perfectly because the seams are not taped. If you want it to be totally waterproof, you'll need to hit all the stitching with something like aquaseal or seam tape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom