Longer Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kamper

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning to buy a backplate and wing assembly soon. I see a few suppliers, like DSS offer backplates in various sizes, where as others like Halcyon, Dive Rite etc offer just one standard size. I expect there are savings for these companies by offering just a standard size, but for the diver, what is better? I am 6' 6" tall, do I need a longer backplate? What advantage do I gain by going to a longer plate?

You will definately be more comfortable in a long plate, not to mention it will spread the weight more evenly over your torso. I'm 6'3" and have a DSS long SS plate. It's a night and day difference from a "standard" size, plus it provides about 2 lbs more ballast.

Give Tobin a call at DSS, he'll get you lined out.

Agreed, absolutely..I'm 6'6" also and have a FredT long SS plate and love it. The problem I have with the standard length is that to have the regs in a position to reach from the top, means the waist strap lies just below my ribs instead of at my waist. The longer length of the long plate means the waist strap is actually at my waist. A long DSS or FredT plate would be the top on my list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom