Long Term Oxygen Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtsmith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a brand new 40cuft Scuba tank that I setup to store pure O2 with a dedicated pure o2 regulator for any kind of divinging emergency on the boat. I went from logging 60 dives in 2004 to diving twice in 2005 after having a baby girl. Well...just had another one so I don't see any major diving coming for a few years...

I already drained my compressor banks and tanks down to 250 PSI for storage per Luxfer's suggestion. Luxfer "could not" comment on O2 storage so I need some advice on that.

The tank in question is a brand new 40 cuft that has been filled with 100% O2 to 2400 PSI. It's already been stored there for 2 years. My question is how long can pure O2 be stored in this type of tank? Should I go ahead and drain it down all the way and refill with a little bit of air or just deplete it down to 250 PSI as Luxfer recommends?

Thanks
~JT

If it were a modern steel tank I would not worry about long term storage at 2400 psi. One might, however, put on a pressure gauge and analyzer on it to see if there is any change. I would also shake the tank and listen for scale or powder. As to 6061 aluminum, same deal. Long term storage at 2400 should have no effect. It might be useful to do a "smell" test on the O2 from the aluminum bottle. Corroded aluminum can have a funky odor.

I am really more concerned about the o rings and seat in the valve. How corrosive is O2 under pressure for the long run on Viton and teflon?

Back
Top Bottom