Question Tech friendly shop in Austin, TX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulATX

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all. I used to live in Austin and did quite a lot of technical training and diving at Lake Travs. But I left in 2005 and returned here last year. All of the shops that I used at that time are now out of business! I've now called or visited all the shops that were easy to find via Yelp to ask my questions. So far best I can get is a 40% Nitrox fill from one store (I think that was Dive World?). No one seems to be able to do much beyond say standard pre-mixed Nitrox.

I've looked for some info on this here, but the only posts I've found appear to be out-of-date re: shops in Austin. Is there a shop in Austin that can support technical diving needs? Not looking for particular brands of gear, more generally services that I would need such as:
  • Nitrox blending, especially for deco gasses like 50/50
  • Trimix fills
  • Pure O2 fills
  • Used to filling doubles
  • O2 clean gear and tanks
  • Etc.
Maybe the answer to some of these is that I need to go to a shop out of town?

Thanks!

Edit: added detail on what searching I've done so far around the area.

My suggestion would be to look up the Austin area shops and poke around on their websites/FB pages. Sometimes you can tell a lot from there and then you can call/email for additional info.

My suggestion would be to look up the Austin area shops and poke around on their websites/FB pages. Sometimes you can tell a lot from there and then you can call/email for additional info.
I've already done that. Hence my post here. I called all the shops I could readily find on Yelp and none (so far) can do more than a pre standard Nitrox. I'm hoping I'm simply missing something. Or worst case, someone in Austin can tell me what city they drive to to get it taken care of.

I've already done that. Hence my post here. I called all the shops I could readily find on Yelp and none (so far) can do more than a pre standard Nitrox. I'm hoping I'm simply missing something. Or worst case, someone in Austin can tell me what city they drive to to get it taken care of.
That wasn’t clear in your original post. Too many people don’t do their online homework so good that you at least did that.

That wasn’t clear in your original post. Too many people don’t do their online homework so good that you at least did that.
Thanks! Edited the post to detail what I've done so far and the answers I've gotten

Hey Pa
Hi all. I used to live in Austin and did quite a lot of technical training and diving at Lake Travs. But I left in 2005 and returned here last year. All of the shops that I used at that time are now out of business! I've now called or visited all the shops that were easy to find via Yelp to ask my questions. So far best I can get is a 40% Nitrox fill from one store (I think that was Dive World?). No one seems to be able to do much beyond say standard pre-mixed Nitrox.

I've looked for some info on this here, but the only posts I've found appear to be out-of-date re: shops in Austin. Is there a shop in Austin that can support technical diving needs? Not looking for particular brands of gear, more generally services that I would need such as:
  • Nitrox blending, especially for deco gasses like 50/50
  • Trimix fills
  • Pure O2 fills
  • Used to filling doubles
  • O2 clean gear and tanks
  • Etc.
Maybe the answer to some of these is that I need to go to a shop out of town?

Thanks!

Edit: added detail on what searching I've done so far around the area.
Hey Paul, I couldn't direct message you so posting here. Could you join Lake Travis Divers group on Facebook please? We can help you there, there are places in Austin you can get proper gas blending.

Hey Paul, nice to see you back!

What shop does banked nitrox? I'm running a AN/DP/Helitrox class there in a couple weeks and fills have been logistically challenging. Doing all of my O2 and mix fills here in Galveston.

Duggan Diving MIGHT do what you are looking for, but not sure. And they are basically in San Antonio.

You should be able to get everything you're looking for in Austin. I sent you a DM.

Depending on what you are looking for (no helium, at the moment) Dive Shop San Marcos is technical friendly---owned and run by an technical instructor, etc.

and I bet everyone else here already told you how to get the helium fill. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom