Long Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

befee

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a relatively new diver and recently introduced to the ideas of DIR. I am currently a recreational diver and soon to be technically trained, with cave out there in the future (hopefully). There are a lot of aspects of DIR that I agree with and am trying to phase into my own gear and diving.

My question deals with the length of the long hose. Why use a 7' rather than a 9' hose, especially when it comes to single-file, overhead air sharing situation?
It would seem that 9' allows for the receiver to have his entire body length and the addition of his fins to be accounted for without the donor being caught up between his legs. I believe there is some aspect regarding touch contact that may come into play but would someone be willing to explain this further?

Thanks.

I am a relatively new diver and recently introduced to the ideas of DIR. I am currently a recreational diver and soon to be technically trained, with cave out there in the future (hopefully). There are a lot of aspects of DIR that I agree with and am trying to phase into my own gear and diving.

My question deals with the length of the long hose. Why use a 7' rather than a 9' hose, especially when it comes to single-file, overhead air sharing situation?
It would seem that 9' allows for the receiver to have his entire body length and the addition of his fins to be accounted for without the donor being caught up between his legs. I believe there is some aspect regarding touch contact that may come into play but would someone be willing to explain this further?

Thanks.
Cave kicks typically require bent knees, so 7ft is plenty long enough.

Hope this helps.

It may have nothing to do with it, but 7' wraps perfectly around my torso.

You want to be close together and in touch contact. I have not actually used a 9ft (seems a waste of money to buy one) but 2 extra feet will almost for sure be getting snagged on stuff if the passage is narrow enough to be truly in single file.

Thanks for the responses. I guess it really comes down to the finning technique (ie. knees bent) that would determine the 7' vs 9'. This is something I will have to work on.

Could someone elaborate on the touch contact that would occur? Hand to leg? How is the communication executed?

Could someone elaborate on the touch contact that would occur? Hand to leg? How is the communication executed?

yeah, hand to leg, the person behind can just about push the person in front through. signals are two clear pushes to go, two clear squeezes to stop and two clear tugs backwards to go back.

hopefully, you're not doing single file gas sharing zero viz exit for very long...

you'll get to do this in your cave courses, though, and you'll see that it actually works pretty well.

Thanks for the responses. I guess it really comes down to the finning technique (ie. knees bent) that would determine the 7' vs 9'. This is something I will have to work on.

You'd almost never flutter kick with a straight leg in a cave. Certainly not in a restricted passage while sharing gas.

Touch contact can be hand-leg, hand-arm, or hand-crotch-strap depending on the circumstances.

cool. thanks again for the info.

if you do hand-crotch strap, be careful you aren't signaling in sensitive areas. i think my buddy's phrase was 'that's not a punching bag, honey.'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom