Long Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So if I am never in a cave situation is 5 feet long enough?

5ft is fine, although I know alot of people who tried 5ft and hated it. For the vertically challenged 6ft is enough to wrap under a can light or knife sheath which helps keep it from flopping.

I believe that GUE has at least a halfway official stance now that divers are encouraged to simply use a 7' long hose for all applications.

I think back the first time I did fundies with 25 dives under my belt, I was using a 7' long hose and just tucking it because I didn't have a can light yet. That never caused me any issues and I grew into it eventually...

I used a 5' hose for tropical diving, found it a bit short, it all depends on your personal "diameter".:wink:

I believe that GUE has at least a halfway official stance now that divers are encouraged to simply use a 7' long hose for all applications

Is that supposed to be a reason for using a 7' hose? That you think some agency might possibly have a semi-official policy that they suggest it perhaps?

when air sharing in a restricted environment (single file), how is the hose situated between the diver?
If the front diver (leader) is using bent-knee finning per ucf's description, does the hose come from the tanks and between his feet and to the ooa diver? Or does it go alongside the ooa diver's side? How do you keep the hose from being kicked, if this is even a concern?

Sorry for the questions. I'm curious for when I practice some of this in the pool.

Is that supposed to be a reason for using a 7' hose? That you think some agency might possibly have a semi-official policy that they suggest it perhaps?

You're in the DIR forum, its relevant.

And the rationale is that many divers wind up going to the technical route where they need it anyway, and there's better things to fuss with than the length of your hose.

The stock answer for Joe Random GUE-curious diver on the internet should be to get used to a 7' hose.

I can think of one diver here of around 20 that I've been diving with recently where a shorter hose makes perfect sense.

Sorry for the questions. I'm curious for when I practice some of this in the pool.

Go take a class. This isn't stuff that will get effectively taught on the internet.

when air sharing in a restricted environment (single file), how is the hose situated between the diver?
If the front diver (leader) is using bent-knee finning per ucf's description, does the hose come from the tanks and between his feet and to the ooa diver? Or does it go alongside the ooa diver's side? How do you keep the hose from being kicked, if this is even a concern?

Historically it was often run along the lead divers back over their shoulder to their mouth. But this presents more and more difficult to resolve entanglement issues (in a restriction). So many divers route the hose between the legs, through the crotch up the belly to the mouth.

Kicking the hose doesn't matter much and its not really by the fins anyway.

Why do you feel the need to practice this? Best to get proper instruction so you don't just create bad habits.

I can think of one diver here of around 20 that I've been diving with recently where a shorter hose makes perfect sense.

I don't even think I know that many.

Historically it was often run along the lead divers back over their shoulder to their mouth. But this presents more and more difficult to resolve entanglement issues (in a restriction). So many divers route the hose between the legs, through the crotch up the belly to the mouth.

Kicking the hose doesn't matter much and its not really by the fins anyway.

Why do you feel the need to practice this? Best to get proper instruction so you don't just create bad habits.

I am a recent convert to the BP/w and figured while I get acquainted and comfortable with the new gear I could also try different things with it. This way I have a better idea of how things should move around and have a broader experience with what the rig entails.

I will be seeking training but I want to be more comfortable with the gear first

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom