Long-hose in the time of COVID-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For Covid safety, what I have been doing during drills is to have the donor do exactly what he or she would do normally. The receiver then takes the regulator in the hand but switches to his or her own alternate. The rest of the drill continues as normal, with the receiver holding the regulator hose near the mouth.

What hand do you actually hold the donated primary in?

I tried and totally couldn't make it work while ascending during OOG drill. If i hold the donated reg with my left hand, I cannot dump air. If I tried holding it with my right hand (which feels weird), I cannot see my computer. Now, as long as the donor can act as a reference point, that is fine. But if the donor wanted/needed to shoot a dsmb, then I would have to keep the depth.

Still, I guess for the time being it's the best one can do. In real emergency you'd just stuck it in your mouth anyway, and the proposition by RAID where you'd clip the donated primary to your d-ring feels unsafe.

If I tried holding it with my right hand (which feels weird), I cannot see my computer.

Just hold it a little bit out front, so you can see your computer. You don't have to hold the reg close to your face. In an open water ascent and while being face to face with my buddy, I would hold the hose during a real world donation not close to my face but a bit out also, for the same reason, so that I can still see depth and time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom