Logging Pool Dives

Should pool dives count as logged dives?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weeelll...no....

But if I got to dive in the Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory pool you better believe I'd log it!

All the best, James

Roger that! However, the chances of that are reeeeeaallly slim. I had the opportunity to talk to a couple of the support divers for the NBL at a science conference. I said essentially the same thing (I think I said I'd give my eye-teeth to be able to dive there) and one of the divers said the old line, "Well, we'd let you, but then we'd have to kill you." The other diver said, "It's not the diving skills, but the security clearances you have to have to get in there." I laughed and quipped, "Why? What do you guys have in there...a Russian satellite?"

The first one looked over at the second one and deadpanned, "We might have to kill him anyway."

Your log serves several purposes. One is to keep track of pressure exposures, and diving in a pool is a pressure exposure. Does that mean that it "counts" for dive number prerequisites, of course not. Bit then, if you are really sweating making those sorts of numbers so that you may "progress," you've got it all wrong anyway and are likely to teabag and count those dives, which is not better.

Would you consider a particularly vivid and realistic scuba-themed dream as "experience", and therefore, credit as a logged dive?

:)

Yes and No. Dive experience for course prerequisites is dependent on the course and agency. Here the setting (pool, confined OW, OW), depth, and length probably count. Noting pool dives can show some recent experience, or experience with specific gear that may be lacking with OW dives.

About a year ago I resumed diving after a 10-year hiatus (not the only hiatus I've had either). While my sons were taking lessons, I took pictures and generally gave myself a review. This continued for several pool sessions. Then I returned to OW (Monterey) and it was comforting to my buddy knowing that I had recent (pool) experience.

My son has a drysuit waiting for him. He knows he must (my requirement) get a pool session with an instructor before using it in OW. In this case he should note the session in his logbook, but not count it as a numbered dive. It will show potential buddies he has some training. After a few OW dives with his drysuit it will no longer matter.

On a related note: One of the highlights of my pilot's logbook is the 1/2 hour (no takeoffs and no landings) that I have logged in a Ford Trimotor. Does it really count for piloting experience and skill - not really - but given that there were only 2 flying Trimotors (one now) at the time it is VERY special time. Put in whatever you want to remember things. Reviewing my 40+ years of diving when I started up again brought back many memories. If you don't put it in, you may never recall it.

Would you consider a particularly vivid and realistic scuba-themed dream as "experience", and therefore, credit as a logged dive?

:)
Only if the dream took place in a pressurized chamber. Increased ambient pressure is the key, I log all pool dives, I log all chamber dives, but if someone asks, "how many dives have you logged?" I report only open water dives.

If you are anxious to add pages to your log book, don't do it with swimming pool time: go diving. While it is true that a log book is a personal record of experiences and equipment use, it is also relied on by concessions to determine a diver's experience and competence level. The standard protocol is NOT to log pool dives except in the training section of your log book. If you use your log to demonstrate experience to dive operators, this is very important. Also, if you seek to qualify for a divemaster or other professional rating class, pool dives don't count. I don't think anyone should ever log pool dives, because you get in a habit of doing so, of counting the pool dips as dives, and then you are deluding yourself as to your real experience level.
DivemasterDennis

If you are anxious to add pages to your log book, don't do it with swimming pool time: go diving. While it is true that a log book is a personal record of experiences and equipment use, it is also relied on by concessions to determine a diver's experience and competence level. The standard protocol is NOT to log pool dives except in the training section of your log book. If you use your log to demonstrate experience to dive operators, this is very important. Also, if you seek to qualify for a divemaster or other professional rating class, pool dives don't count. I don't think anyone should ever log pool dives, because you get in a habit of doing so, of counting the pool dips as dives, and then you are deluding yourself as to your real experience level.
DivemasterDennis
Like I said, if you are logging dives for no purpose other than to gain entry to the next step in training, you've got it all wrong and are likely cutting corners anyway. There are potential cumulative effects to pressure exposures so if, for example, I were ever to come down with aseptic bone necrosis it would be a good idea to have as detailed a record of pressure exposures as possible.

I voted NO .... but ... your logbook is YOURS! So, you can write in it whatever YOU want.

Plus, there is a BIG difference between logging a dive and counting it as a valid dive.

I even log virtual dives (and I am not the only one) :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I think it is a silly idea. If I was instructing, I would keep some sort of record of students and their training, but not in my DIVING log.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom